1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 sudenly freezes

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Pimmyjage, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Pimmyjage

Pimmyjage Member

I have a whole new issue with my Asus N73J -laptop.
    It started today and has done it now 3 times. It occurs when i have few windows opened and couple softwares like Skype running.
    So, me screen suddenly freezes, mouse doesnt move etc. If I have my skype call opened, like i once had, it suddenly ends. Only way to get out of this problem is, to reboot the computer and it works again.

Please help such a newbie like me..

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is the cpu fan on constantly? how long does it take to freeze up?

3. Pimmyjage

Pimmyjage Member

Yeh it is. Umm varies, like between 30min - 2h.

4. ddp

the more stuff running in the background the sooner it freezes, correct?

5. Pimmyjage

Pimmyjage Member

Yeh i thought so too. Until it freezed after 30min of surfing in the internet. Then I rebooted and started playing video game with my friend, connected by skype. I played like 1h20min until it freezed.

It might be, that theres a problem in the fan, because 2 last times it rebooted, the fan was pretty hot. But that doesn't explain the "internet surfing" for little time, and still freeze..

6. ddp

do you have access to an air compressor or a can of compressed air to give laptop a blow job to clean out any dust bunnies in the fan or vents?

7. Bozobub

Bozobub Member

What graphics card (if not plain integrated graphics) do you have? If it's from nVidia, you may very well be having a common problem with newer nVidia drivers (post-314.22) and somewhat older cards (anything pre-600 series), especially if it tends to happen with a browser of any type open. It happens when using 2D acceleration (as browsers do), and does NOT affect 3D gaming; it also happens at random intervals, and may not hit for hours, then repeatedly strike 10 times in one hour.

If you'd like more info and suspect this is the problem, simply google "nvidia driver freeze".

Uninstalling your current driver and reverting to 314.22 just may solve this issue for you, again IF you have an nVidia card. If that does not help (or, of course, if you don't have an nVidia graphics card), very likely you have an overheating issue.