1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Windows 7 Update

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by wenpeek, Aug 6, 2015.

1. wenpeek

wenpeek Member

I have a Sony Vaio laptop that runs Windows 7 that when I go into check for updates it just sits in that "searching for updates" and keeps searching and searching and that's all it does. It never comes back with any updates, and I know there are some available, it just sits in that searching window for days if I'd let it. Anyone know how to fix that? I'm not sure how it got off track because it was finding updates just fine but now I get nothing. Any ideas?

Let me know if you need more info. Thanks for the help.

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

when did this start happening on the laptop? I replied on your desktop thread.

4. wenpeek

wenpeek Member

I'm not for certain when it started exactly. It was before this power thing happened to my desktop I know that for sure.

5. wenpeek

wenpeek Member

Thanks 2oG I'll give it a shot and let you know. Btw, love your quote. :cool: Sadly, 98% of the men I know fall into that 3rd category. :eek:

6. ddp

I've noticed since this late spring early summer that doing updates on freshly installed windows or previously installed on customers' computers has gone from quick to extremely slow. doesn't matter if at customer's place or at my place it is slow. updating other programs or drivers is quick but windows updates is slow. 1 computer I worked on took 2 days to install all the updates for a freshly installed win7. because of this I have decided to install windows on customers' computers at my place as I can do other things while the updates are being searched, downloaded & installed.

7. wenpeek

wenpeek Member

Okay so I downloaded the software and ran the repair twice but nothing changed. I still can get windows update to produce any options. Also I didn't mention this in my original post but when I run my antivirus scan I can't get it past about 14% because it freezes up every time. Didn't know if this info would help or not.

8. ddp

run a scandisk on the hard drive with the system errors & bad sectors options selected.

9. wenpeek

wenpeek Member

Okay so I'm having a bit of a "blonde moment" (all day today) :confused: so I get to scandisk how? :oops:

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

11. wenpeek

wenpeek Member