1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8.1 opening browser on startup.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Ghoul66, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Ghoul66

Ghoul66 Member

I recently purchased this computer and I'm still learning the pros and cons. It wasn't doing this at first, but now every time I start the computer it opens a browser with the MIcrosoft homepage. I do not have Microsoft set as my homepage and I didn't ask it to open this browser either. About a week ago, I set it so it would go straight to the desktop instead of that annoying start page. I'm not sure, but I believe that's when it started. This is just as annoying as the start page. How do I keep it going to the desktop instead of the start page and also get it to stop opening a browser every time I start the computer.

Specs: ASUS GL771 gaming laptop, Windows 8.1, GTX 860m, Intel I7-4710 HQ 2.50GHZ x2, 12 GB RAM, 64-bit OS.

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Hold down the windows key, between crtl & alt bottom left of keyboard, then press the "r" key to get the run box.
    type msconfig in the run box and click OK..
    In System Configuration click the Startup Tab....
    Look through the list to find the browser that is starting and un-ckeck it.. then click Apply and OK..
    You may have to re-boot for it to take effect...

Ghoul66 likes this.
  3. Ghoul66

Ghoul66 Member

Hmmm... I don't see a browser. Here are some screenshots so you can see what I see. I'm also not sure that it's still doing it. I don't know what I did to stop it but I was going through my startup menu a few days ago trying to get rid of whatever I don't need, maybe I deleted it without even realizing it. Untitled. Untitled2.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Maybe you did.... o_O

I am so uninformed on win 8.1, it is a real bummer cuz I just have to muddle through... I would say to run it for a while and see if it works out. :)

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You don't have to muddle through sh*t, if you don't succumb to MS bullsh*t and move from Win 7 to that festering pile of dog pooh, Windows 8. :)

That is, unless you are a phablet person. :)

6. aldan

aldan Active member

hahahaha

7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Jesus, the new words the sheeple come up with..... I still use a flip phone and don't own a tablet!
    And, as far as I'm concerned, win 8 can be put in my outhouse with the sh*t eating dog I keep there. :eek:

8. aldan

aldan Active member

whats a flip phone old fella?by the way,cant wipe your arse with win8 like you can with the eatons catalogue.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

eaton's has been gone for year so don't you mean sears? if I wanted a cell phone it will be a flip phone.

10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Capture.PNG No bells, no whistles!

Yeah we always hung a Sears Roebuck catalog in our 3 hole outhouse. The paper was slick as glass but the pictures in the women's underwear dept. made up for that.. :p

11. aldan

aldan Active member

when i was a kid we used to visit grampa and gramma and the eatons catalogue in those days wasnt glossy paper.you had a 3 holer?wow musta been rich.lol

12. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Nawh, my grampa was a carpenter, he built a 2 hole for guys and gals and the third hole was a bucket for when both sides were taken up..... :)

Capture2.PNG

Ghoul66 likes this.
  13. Ghoul66

Ghoul66 Member

I couldn't help but laugh at the bickering that started over my post. Thanks for the entertainment guys. Btw, I hate Win8 too. When I ordered this computer I requested Win7 but I didn't want to send it back or make a big deal out of it. Now I'm stuck with it.

14. Ghoul66

Ghoul66 Member

Okay, it didn't stop. The browser that it's opening is Firefox (my default browser which I set). The webpage that it tries to redirect me to is go.microsoft.com (which is not the homepage I set).

Edit: I tried to get it to do it again so I could get the full web address but I couldn't. I restarted, then I shut down the computer altogether then started it. It didn't happen on either occasion. Either MS or AVG is blocking the page which leads me to believe this may be malware (but I have AVG set to ask me every time a website tries to redirect so it may not be). I'm going to install Malwarebytes and run it. I'll keep you guys up to date on what's happening.

Edit: I ran Malwarebytes premium and it didn't find anything. It has to be MS that's doing it. I just don't know how to get rid of it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

change the home page to want you want, close the browser then restart the browser to see if your home page is still there.

16. Ghoul66

Ghoul66 Member

Okay, I finally remembered to get a screenshot of the page when it opens. This is always on start up from being turned off for a number of hours. If I only shut it off for a few minutes it doesn't happen.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  17. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Is your internet on AT&T Uverse????

18. Ghoul66

Ghoul66 Member

Yes it is. I think you're going to tell me that they're the culprit? I didn't want to allow the page because it's suspicious and I have no idea what may be lurking there. I have safeguards like noscript and adblock plus but still when a browser opens on it's own and tries to redirect to an unknown address that I didn't select it makes me nervous.

Edit: For Ddp, when I open the browser myself it goes to the homepage that I set up. It's only on this instance that it tries to go to that other page. (On start up after being off for several hours).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  19. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Well, you got that right.. ;)

HTTP/1.0 302 Found Location: /cgi-bin/ipdiags.ha Pragma: no-cache Content-Type: text/html

It's your AT&T Modem or Router when your computer is off and sets unused for a while the internet connection is dropping out and when turned back on the modem is sending an error message: #302 to cgi-bin/ipdiags.ha and your Firefox is blocking it.
    I have heard of this happening but I have never seen a fix posted for it. :( You may have to call ATT or change your default browser.??? I will dig around the net and see if I can come up with something...

20. Ghoul66

Ghoul66 Member

Thanks for your diligence and hard work. It's much appreciated. Now that I know what's causing it I have a starting point. I can call ATT tomorrow and give them hell. LOL
    Btw, I do shut down my modem/router (all in one) when I shut down my computer.