1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8.1 opening browser on startup.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Ghoul66, Jun 2, 2015.

1. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Give’m hell! This happens since AT&T forced a switch to U-Verse. It is not U-Verse itself doing this; it’s the router that comes with U-Verse. If the router cannot detect a connection, it sends the client to that diagnostic page. I find that really bad. Instead they should just fail and not reply with a 302.

LOL I never turn off a computer! Back in the olden days when we didn't have the PC boards we have today, that is when turning a computer on and off was bad for it because changing the temp, hot to cold, cold to hot, would contract/expand the old sockets and cause the parts to work their way out.. Just got into that habit along with still using a screen saver. Since nobody uses CRT tubes in monitors any more the tube won't get burnt in and a screen saver doesn't do anything but look funny. LOL

Hope it works out for you. Let us know the outcome.....

2oG

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

I always turn off the powerbar after I finish using the computer or computers if I'm working on a customers'.

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I was talking about MY computers.. I treat a customer or other owners quite differently than my own.. :)

4. ddp

that is what I'm talking about as I also do customers' computers at my house instead of spending 5hrs plus reloading windows because of dying hard drive at their place.

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I don't make 'House Calls' period.. If one of my customers has a hardware problem, they bring it to me! If it's a software/malware problem then we can use Teamviewer and I help them remotely..
    I have records of all the computers I have built over the last 20+ years on my server so, it's not the 'blind leading the blind' like it is on here where someone asks for help and then just cannot follow the instructions.. :oops:

6. ddp

I do make house calls besides having the computer dropped off at my house to be fixed. I also answer their questions over the phone & walk them thru a process that saves me having to see the computer & save the customer money at the same time.