1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8 disc confusion

Discussion in 'Windows 8 discussion' started by snarple, May 30, 2013.

1. snarple

snarple Member

Hi, so I'm a little confused. I just recently bought a cheap Mac Mini from Best Buy and had hopes of using a Mac program called Boot Camp to install Windows 8 alongside my Mac OS. The problem I'm having is I'm not sure if the Windows 8 disc is able to do more then just upgrade older versions of Windows.

This is what I bought

Can this disc install Windows 8 on a drive that doesn't have Windows already on it? I haven't open it in fear of it just being a upgrade. Any info would be appreciated.

2. snarple

snarple Member

In computer terms can this disc do a clean install of Windows 8?

3. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

The title of the item, according to your link, says UPGRADE. And the description further states "Upgrades Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP to Windows 8 Pro". I would take it back, unopened for a refund at BB. I do believe you want the FULL program; probably costs more, too. Unless you have one of those other versions of windows to install and then use the upgrade disc. Cheers.

4. snarple

snarple Member

Sorry I left out one more important piece of information. I actually bought it at the local Best Buy not the website. The sales clerk said this was the full install but when I search best buys site I only find that version which says its a update. So that's why i'm confused and concerned.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  5. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

You can not always believe the BB clerks. I would believe the written info.

My original thoughts remain. I am sure that BB will not take it back when opened and then you find they are wrong. Too late.

6. snarple

snarple Member

yes thats exactly why I didn't open it yet. If anyone has tried to do a clean install with the Windows 8 Pro disc I would like to know your experience with it.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum.