1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows 95 sux

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hk2npck, Dec 12, 2004.

1. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

i am reinstalling windows 95 for a friend of mine, now that I have formatted the drive, it wont let me install windows. I boot with a windows boot disk, then start the setup program from the cd. It says something about a compressed drive, and then say sometihng like "If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up windows." So i format it into using everything I can format the drive agin, still doesnt work. Then i use the fdisk utility, and delete, and recreate the partition, still doesnt work. whats wrong??? BTW, i know that the drive is good, all the boot utilities i used recgonized the drive correctly, (like western digital dlgdiag)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  2. CJC

CJC Regular member

Basically Windows 95 isnt supported any more and is not worth the hassle.

Try get a copy of Windows 98SE and install that

CJC

3. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

this computer is really old, and isnt going to be connected to the internet anyway, so security flaws arent a problem. as for windows98, i dont have a copy of that anywhere, and dont plan to buy one either.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you fdisk to delete partition, than make a new active partition, reboot system than format the drive. what are you using for a bootable floppy disk: dos, windows95 or 98???

5. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

was using both win98 and win95 bootdisks.

6. ddp

does that same error come up each time

7. Xian

Xian Regular member

Sounds like when you fdisk it is making the drive into a filesystem that Windows 95 does not recognize. I would suspect that it is making it FAT32. The original Windows 95 did not support FAT32, only FAT16. A later version of Win95, OSR2 was released with support for FAT32. Fdisk the drive and when it asks if you want to enable large disk support, tell it no. That will make it FAT16 however then you will only be able to create a 2 gig max partition.

8. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

ok, and also, when it does a scandisk (or was it a chkdsk?) it says something about a compressed disk that it could not read? same problem? thanks

9. ddp

i think you can ignore that one tho it has been a while since loading win95 on a system which only got upraded to win98 this spring for a customer