1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 98 Help

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by sackula, May 14, 2007.

1. sackula

sackula Member

I have an old laptop running windows 98. It was previously used with aol dial up for internet. I want to configure it to connect through my network, but when I plug an Ethernet in the back it does absolutely nothing. I think windows needs to be reconfigured, but I am not sure.
    Detailed replies please, I suck
    Thanks

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Not sure what version of AOL is on there..but if it's version 5 or 6, those versions took over ANY internet connection you had, deleted them, and made AOL the only connection available.

Remove anything AOL related. Run a registry cleaner like RegSeeker or CCleaner and have them remove all remaining leftovers.

Once that is done....make sure your ethernet port (NIC card) has updated drivers. If the drivers are not available...you'll need to find out what NIC that laptop uses..download and install. Be prepared for Win98 to ask you for the Win98 CD during the installation of the drivers.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is the netcard enabled in device manager? was aol removed if not using it anymore from internet options\connections?