1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows blows... Need help with Linux

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by cmertin, Jul 14, 2008.

1. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

That would be why, 32bit is not compatible on a 64bit system it also explains why the first time it worked.

EDIT: Get the 8.10 version coz if you install 8.04 it will want to update itself to 8.10,if you find you have issues using the Install (first option),press one of the f buttons,either f2,f3 or f4 & use safe mode install as there can be issues with the first option,it's a shame you dumped vista as you could've dual booted

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  2. cmertin

cmertin Member

I'm actually dual booting right now, since I don't have a wired cord that I could freely use. Plus my computer is compatible with 32 bit and 64 bit. I am using 32 bit gaysta right now.

EDIT: I tried ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 2, and it's worse right now. It doesn't find ANY hardware drivers at all.

3. varnull

varnull Guest

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Try again but this time on bootup select safe mode from the linux disc,it's there under one of the f keys,there are known issues with using just the straight install method,the most common being freezing,like varnull mentioned if it runs live then all the drivers necessary are there otherwise it would'nt run at all

also it ran ok the first time so that in itself says there's something major that your doing different,use whatever it was when you got it to work then,also do what varnull said earlier & post specs

Edit: Did'nt realise 8.10 is still in testing,you'll need to go back to 8.04

5. cmertin

cmertin Member

I have been doing what I did the first time. All I did was put in the ubuntu disc, boot it up to the live CD, and click on install.

My brother is having some similar problems with his install. He installed the wifi drivers in the live CD and it worked. Now he can't activate his wifi driver, even though it says reboot to complete. He used the 32 bit version of it while I used the 64 bit (2 different ones).

Specs:

* HP Pavilllion DV9627Cl
    * OS: Vista Home Premium and hopefully ubuntu when I get it working
    * AMD Turion 64 X2 Movile TL-58
    * Mainboard: Quanta 30D1
    * Chipset/Southbridge: NVIDIA
    * BIOS: HP F.07 (8/9/2007)
    * RAM: Samsung DDR2 2048 MBytes

EDIT: Trying to boot into safe-mode did not work, it produced the same results.

6. cmertin

cmertin Member

OK, I finally got it working!!!!!!!!! The problem was that I had to download the updates BEFORE I tired installing the drivers. Then it found all of them and installed them WITHOUT A PROBLEM!!!!

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Sweet as,so you no longer need any migrain pills then

8. cmertin

cmertin Member

Well, I have one more question about ubuntu that I couldn't find on google... When I load a youtube page, I have to click on the part where the flash is, so that it will load. How do I do that. I have the flash player right now, it just sucks that I have to click for them to load.

9. varnull

varnull Guest

One of those things.. have a look at your browser settings, specifically how it handles swf.

It has been talked about a lot, just that I have given up with messing with it. https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/19584

adobe can rot in hell for all I care.

10. cmertin

cmertin Member

LMAO, Ok i'll look through my settings to see if I can figure it out.

Thanks for everyone's help in getting a gay OS off my computer ;-)

11. varnull

varnull Guest

I had a look around, and it is definitely related to flashplayer9. Some fixes, and some guesswork.. works on some systems and not others. i don't have ubuntu and my debian is well back on the current ubuntu so I can't experiment with anything that will be relevant..

My view on it is.. so what if I have to click it for it to load? In my books that is actually an advantage because it speeds up page loading.

google ubuntu flashplayer grey screen.. and there are a lot of hits.