1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WIndows Downgrade help?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Alien13, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Hey

IM trying to down grade my xp to windows 95 but when i try to run the setup file it says cannot run on windows NT start computer in MS-DOS then run setup. I have tried the command prompt in the start menu but that still says the same message. I want delete an NTFS partition on Windows XP and revert to FAT32 and know how but i need to get a bootdisk with my drivers on it so i can acces them to get onto the 95 cd but dont know how to get the bootdisk with my drivers on it can any1 tell me how to do this refer me to a page or a diff way to do it?

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

First off, WHY or WHY on earth would u want to go back to Windows 95.....

Ok, to 'Downgrade' you need to clear the HDD completely, meaning, backup any data that you need.

Then you will need a Windows 98 Boot Disk.

Once in the command prompt, you need to go into FDISK and Remove the Non-Dos Partition. Then you need to re-create a primary dos partition.

Once that is done, you will need to restart the computer, and then format.

To do this, from the command prompt type Format C:/u/s which will do an unconditional format, and include the system files.

Now you can install Windows 95.....

CJC

3. Veblin

Veblin Active member

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

might not be able to run win95 with with your current sig system because of possible speed problem & drivers for win95

5. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Why, because when i first got the computer it had 95 then 98 then xp and xp made it really slow and i cant put 98 back on as i dont have the o/s disk. I have the 95 and that was most probably the fastest o/s on there.

6. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

I have the 98 bootdisk.

Ps. I will be away for 2 days so if any1 says anything and i dont answer then youll know why. I will answer any questions when im back if you need to ask them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2005
  7. ddp

what is the speed of the computer as obvious is not your sig system as win95 hasn't been sold in a system at least 6 years

8. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Intel pentium IIIE,733mhz

9. McBrat

McBrat Regular member

I'm running a PIII/ 800 and although I can' tplay the latest and greatest games on it, I can do almost everything else including DVD back ups. I would highly recommend Win 2000. It's stable and won't bog down like XP.

10. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Change of plans am going to install windows 98 SE do i stiil have to do the instructions you suggested or diif ones?

11. ddp

still go with what cjc said about booting off win98 boot disk without cdrom support, deleting the non-dos partition, make a new partition, restart with cdrom support, format the hd then goto the cdrom to start windows install

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  12. retro78

retro78 Member

I would not recommend a downgrade to win95 , your pc will be incompatible with.......uhmm every pc in the world

instead i suggest , u use Nlite.exe ,with this prog. you be able to create a very very lite version of xp(even installment whitout explorer). the prog automaticly creates an img file of the new winxp setup disk, that can be downgraded to an installcd of 200 mb

for more info check: http://nuhi.msfn.org/
    hope i helped you !!

13. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Thanks for the info every1.

14. ddp

no problem, teach & learn

15. Xian

Xian Regular member

The one caveat is if you converted your hard drive to NTFS when you was running XP. If you did that you will have to fdisk it, remove non DOS partition, then recreate the partitions to be able to run 9x. If you install the original Windows 95 you will not be able to format as FAT32 either, but the later version Windows 95 OSR2 or Windows 98 will support FAT32.