1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Locks up during Transcoding

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jamesb72, Jan 3, 2005.

1. jamesb72

jamesb72 Member

I am trying to take camcorder video and burn it onto a DVD. Sounds easy right? No problems with putting video on the computer. I have been unable to burn to DVD. I was hoping someone could give me more troubleshooting suggestions because this problem has got me stumped.

SYMPTOM: While transcoding a video file BEFORE burning it to DVD, the computer locks up.

SOFTWARE: I have tried Sonic, Mediostream, Adobe Encore DVD 1.5, Nero - it all does the same thing.

Troubleshooting I have already done:
    - possible video problems: was using a ATI Radeon 9200. Updated to most recent drivers. No change. Bought a new video card (Nvidia 5700FX) - updated drivers- same symptom.
    - possible audio problems: had a SB Audigy 2ZX. Again updated drivers then changed it out with a M-Audio Revolution 7.1, updated drivers - same symptoms.
    - possible corruption with file type or video file:
    I have tried saving the video files in different formats (avi, mpeg2 wmv) and still get the same symptoms.
    - corruption and program conflicts: I even got a different hard drive and installed windows from scratch. I installed ms office, and Norton's Internet Security. Then tried burning DVD project. Same symptom. Froze up on a nearly clean, fresh system.

My system:
    Windows XP Professional
    Athlon XP 3200+
    1 gb ram

Any ideas?

James W. Babcock

2. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

Might be a silly question but is your CPU overclocked as i had a simliar problem all because of overclocking and would only crash when rencoding.

3. tkboxer

tkboxer Member

James,
    I've seen a number of post describing similar problem, most claimed issue had to do with processor temps, they recommended checking processor fan and sink and increasing case ventilation in general.
    Hope this turns out to be helpful.

4. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Well and Athlon XP 3200+ should be sufficient to do what you are trying to do. But a CPU is suppose to stop working if it gets too hot, which is probably why your computer is freezing all the time, probably the easiest and cheapest solution is to get a higher volume fan to move more air through your PC therefor keeping your CPU at a cooler operating temperature.

I had a similar problem while playing computer games a while back and I have upgraded fans etc, my problem was that there was so much dust blocking airflow that theres a wonder it got any cooling at all. So maybe cleaning might help.

5. jamesb72

jamesb72 Member

Thank you for the replies. No overclocking on my CPU. I keep the computer fairly clean. I have a total of 3 chassis fans along with my CPU fan/heatsink. My cpu fan is a thermaltake volcano brand....

6. jamesb72

jamesb72 Member

double-checked my system CPU temp. My CPU runs at about 116 degrees F and my motherboard at 95 degrees F. Again no overclocking. I even used TMPGEn and IT does the same thing. Half way through the encoding process, the computer freezes. The AVI files I am trying to burn are anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour long.

The latest try was with NEROvision Express ver 3. It freezes. I wrote to Nero technical support last week and sent them my log with no response as of yet.

James W. Babcock

7. greg3000

greg3000 Member

Sounds like you have a problem with the original video file you downloaded to your computer may have gotten corrupted. Have you tried to download the camcorder video onto your hard drive again? How are you downloading from your camcorder to your computer? Do you have InCD installed? If you do, uninstall it. I have had a lot of problems with InCD conflicting with other software. When you installed a different hard drive did you use the original file you downloaded from your camcorder or did you download it again?

8. jamesb72

jamesb72 Member

The camcorder is connected to my computer through IEEE. I have tried several different camcorder video files. No luck. I don't believe I have INCD installed but I will double check it. I have tried several different programs. MEDIOSTREAM, SONIC, Adobe Encore DVD 1.5 (which I really like), and NERO, and they all freeze during the transcoding process while transcoding the video file. When I installed the new hard drive, I transferred a new video file from my camcorder - same result....still freezing during transcoding.

NERO finally sent me an email back telling me that I needed to send them the write log file. The problem is...it doesn't even GET to the writing part .....transcoding is the problem!

thanks
    James W. Babcock

9. bobsatguy

bobsatguy Member

many problems with sonic & nero (incd included) if you have nero you most likely have incd,,check add/remove programs.. uninstall nero, sonic, incd everything burning related,, reinstall eighter nero or sonic & try recoding & recording again. good luke

10. jamesb72

jamesb72 Member

I checked my system. InCD is included in the major update #3 off the nero website. I only installed updates #1 and #2. I doublechecked on my system and it is not installed in the nero bundle. In addition to all the other troubleshooting I have done, I researched and discovered that Encore DVD (my preferred DVD authoring program) uses Mainconcept's encoder engine in the Encore program. I downloaded the demo version of Main Concepts AVI to DVD encoded program and it froze during the process. SAME type of FREEZE!!!! I do not know what else to troubleshoot! Anybody else have any ideas or anything else to try?

James W. Babcock

11. greg3000

greg3000 Member

What software are you using to transfer your video from the camcorder to the PC? It sounds like your video transfer software might be corrupted. Have you tried to uninstall the transfer software and reinstalling, if you're using any?

12. jamesb72

jamesb72 Member

I am using Windows movie maker version 2. I have not tried to uninstall the software. As you probably already know, it is incorporated into windows xp professional

James

13. greg3000

greg3000 Member

Ahh I see...WMM has it's own codec. Go to Tools > Options > Compatability and see what decoder it is using. If any of the boxes are checked in the Filter window, uncheck them and try it again. (If any of the decoders are checked it might be causing a conflict in WMM).

14. jamesb72

jamesb72 Member

I tried what you said. It did the same thing. It still locks up during the transcoding process of the video portion. I even tried capturing through adobe premiere.

James