1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows ME and DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dntsw, Apr 2, 2005.

1. dntsw

dntsw Member

I am still using Windows ME (FAT32). I have always followed the guides to a tee to use DVD Shrink to backup DVD's to my hard drive and then burn with DVD Decrypter (ref:http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm) It has been working great for a year now.

Problem- DVD Shrink has problems with the latest encoding technology (ARccOS). The DVD Shrink guy went to work for Nero so there will be no more updates for Shrink. I have searched and cannot find in this forum an answer on how to shrink the newest DVD's on the market onto my humble Windows ME with any other program...any help is appreciated, otherwise I guess I will have to break down and give in to Micr$oft and get XP after all, I would like to exhaust all resources before this happens!

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

seems that you have a couple of options

Use DVD Decrypter first...
    the best bet being file mode.... but ISO mode can be used. You'll have to use the mds file to open the movie in Shrink if you use ISO mode.
    Or convert your FAT32 to NTFS

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@dntsw - dvd decrypter latest version (3.5.4.0) will breeze thru any pesky arccos protections...have a go in file mode and report back...

4. dntsw

dntsw Member

Zippyd and Creaky - I downloaded and used the latest Decrypter (3.5.4.0), but because I have a FAT32 system, Decrypter does not appear to want to select any more files over 4gig. So it is only selecting a little less than half the files needed when I select IFO mode. even then, I get an I/O error partway thru (same problem that many others in this forum have mentioned when trying to decrypt ARccOS disc's).
    At any rate, this is why I used to have to always shrink my DVD's first to fit on my hard drive, then burn using decrypter.
    Windows Me cannot access NTFS partitions (http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm). Therefore I guess converting FAT32 to NTFS and still using ME is out of the question. I will go and get Windows XP soon and report back on whether I still get any I/O errors then. I appreciate your quick responses. Was just hoping not to have to shell out $80 for Xphome because my ME is doing everything else I want so no reason to upgrade. Sigh!….I’ll be back!

5. zippyd

zippyd Active member

don't shell out $80 just yet.....
    Either you made a typo or you're going about it the wrong way....
    You should be using FILE MODE
    I also stated that you could use ISO Read mode, but Decrypter would recognize the FAT32 and split the ISO into 2 parts and create an .mds file as a set of instructions to put them back together. BUT file mode is preferred.

And I apoligize, as I thought ME was in the same family as 2000 and capable of supporting NTFS

6. dntsw

dntsw Member

Zippy, I will try again and see what develops, perhaps I did not pay attention when I was doing the settings on Decrypter..will report back soon..thanks for the reminder

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

dntsw,
    The easiest bet for you would be to use AnyDVD. That way you can do everything just as you have been doing. You see AnyDVD just runs in the background doing it's job you wouldn't even know it was there, and you will be backing up your DVD's just as you always have :) Give it a try you can use it for 21 days on a trial period to see if you like it.

8. XBG

XBG Member

I agree with bbmayo.

I also run ME on this PC and use AnyDVD when I have a freeze or error with DVD Shrink.

I only run AnyDVD when there is a problem and that has been perhaps 5 times in the last 50 or so rips.

I have never_ever failed to rip a DVD.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  9. dntsw

dntsw Member

Zippyd and Creaky - the "FILE" method in Decrypter worked on the ARccOS discs I have! I was used to doing Shrink, then burn with Decrypter because that is the only way I could get a backup onto Windows ME and then burn. Now it is Decrypter(FILE mode), Shrink, then burn with Decrypter. Just an extra step, and time, but it got it all done. I appreciate the time and patience you took to beat it into my head to read your instructions a little more closely.

XBG and bbmayo - Tried AnyDVD, looks slick and works just as well as above.

To all of you - both methods worked well! I appreciate your quick responses. I hope sharing my results will help others using Windows ME, plus posted my computer specs below.

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@dntsw - nice work. and thanks for reporting back, you'd be surprised how few ppl do, enjoy ya film(s) !