1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows ME encrypt files..?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ggoody, Nov 2, 2004.

1. ggoody

ggoody Member

I was wondering if I could put a password on "My Documents" so they are locked. So no-one who uses my computer can get into that area.
    I know I can lock my whole computer with a password, but I have files and such that some people(who use my computer) just do not need to see.
    Is there anyway to do this?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you could try hidding the folder

3. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

I'm pretty sure Me doesn't support encryption. Only 2000 and XP do. If i'm right you have two options.
    Upgrade to one of the two or you can get a third party utility that will keep your data safe. There are many on the market so you'll have to look around.
    If the data is critical then you should get a decent one. If you just want to keep harmless nosey people away get something like this.

http://www.mycomputersafe.com/

4. ggoody

ggoody Member

Thanks ddp and ianski7 for now I think I'll just try and hide it, then I can experiment with
    http://www.mycomputersafe.com/
    I know I should be running XP PRO but I am one of the few that have had good success with ME..

Thanks again great site....

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

me i prefer win98se, i can do things on dos side can't do in xp also most of my customers use win98se

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

No problem!!!!

If it works for you then it works!!