1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Center / Windows Media Player 11 Problems...

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by M3GA, Jul 5, 2007.

1. M3GA

M3GA Member

Ok, so four days ago I had zero problems with Windows Media Player 11 or Windows Media Center. Video's were playing fine on both programs, had all the codecs I needed. But just about 2 days ago, I noticed that Avi. files stopped playing. Not only that, but when I would go into the folders where I had my anime series files in (all are Avi.), the thumbnail pictures that would normally show up on the file had also stopped showing up. Instead, it would just show the file type and also the name of the file. Thinking that these files would still play, I dragged a few in Windows Media Player 11 to watch them. As soon as I right clicked and selected "play", I would recieve the following message, "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." So then I proceeded to try and obtain the proper codecs, while still being puzzled about why the Avi. files that played fine the other day suddenly stopped playing. Mind you, I'm running on Windows Vista and cannot rollback to a previous Windows Media Player seeing as this was the one installed on my pc from the get go. I also have FFDshow installed, as well as all the plugins I thought were needed, so I don't quite understand why the files still won't play. Now onto the next problem, which only confused me further.

After I tried playing the files in Windows Media Player 11 with no success, I tried playing them the way I normally did in Windows Media Center. The thumbnails show up in the specific folders where the files are located so good sign I thought and I figured, "great it should work now!"...WRONG!
    When I selected a file to play I would recieve this message, "Cannot Play Video. Windows Media Center cannot find the specified file. Be sure the path is typed correctly. If it is, the file does not exist at the specified location, or the computer where the file is stored offline."

This is really frustrating and although there is probably a simple solution to it, I haven't figured it out yet. I'd thought about trying to uninstall or reinstall Windows Media Player 11 assuming that the problem was with that program itself, but being that it's the program that comes already pre-installed on my Windows Vista pc, I don't think that's a possibility =/. Also after encountering the problem with Windows Media Center, I'm even more confused then before. Anyway, any and all info/help would be very much appreciated.

2. 07anto07

07anto07 Active member

check your pm

3. 07anto07

07anto07 Active member

don't like wmp i use a different program check ur pm

4. M3GA

M3GA Member

Check my pm? I'm not really sure what you mean by that. Yea, I realize that there's a lot of other programs out there to use but I've gotten used to WMP and WMC.