1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Player 11 - Sync Entire Library

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by jtan189, Apr 27, 2007.

1. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

I'm going out of my mind trying to find the answer to this problem.
    I use WMP11 and I have a Creative Zen Vision:M 60GB. I want to be able to hook up my Zen to my computer, open up WMP11, and then have it sync my entire library (all my songs, pictures, videos). Instead what happens is it only synchronizes the playlists I've made in WMP11. I've tried almost everything and I can't get it to work. I could use different software to do this, but I want to use WMP11. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rickster0

Rickster0 Regular member

I do not use WMP 11 anymore as i prefer WMP 10

But i imagine you would be able to select sync device and then select your zen and it should do it :)

3. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

It does sync, but it syncs only the playlists that I've made on it. I don't want it copy only the playlists, but the entire library (including pictures and videos). Anyone know how to fix this?

4. Rickster0

Rickster0 Regular member

Where it says sync lists select the drop down list then you should just be able to select all music :)

5. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

I checked that, but it doesn't. I'm guessing it got deleted or corrupted somehow. Is there any way to get that option back? I'm thinking of reinstalling wmp, but I don't want to do that until it's my last option.

6. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

I'm starting to think I'm the only person with this problem. I was going to reinstall windows media player 11, to see if that would put the sync playlists (such as all songs, all pictures, all videos, etc.) back on there, but I guess there is currently no way to reinstall wmp11 on vista.

Anyone have any clue of what to do? I don't think the problem is with my Zen Vision: M. Must be something to do with the software. I know it is supposed to automatically sync the entire library upon connection, but all it does now is sync the music playlists I have on my computer.

7. Rickster0

Rickster0 Regular member

Probably vista i heard it is still very buggy lol :)

8. photobob

photobob Member

I have the same exact problem, and was looking for a way to solve it also. I have a Creative Zen 30G and would like to have my entire music library sync. Instead is only sync's playlists, and in fact start's deleting anything that is not on a play list. Also, I changed to genre of some of my music to reorganize some of my audio books, and the Zen does not pick up those track genre changes. I would love to have my new reorganized system show up on the Zen.

Bob

9. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

It seems we might be the only two who have this problem. I've searched everything and can't find any solutions. It's really making me mad too. I can't reinstall wmp (for vista), put the sync playlists back on, or anything else. I was going to try and call microsoft support, but that didn't work too well.

10. Rickster0

Rickster0 Regular member

You have to remember a lot of things on vista are new with means that the older things are not compatible you have to download the drivers to make the old things compatible for the new things. If that makes sense lol

Look through google

11. photobob

photobob Member

Thanks, but I'm not doing this on Vista, it's Windows XP.

Bob

12. Rickster0

Rickster0 Regular member

Hmm yes but you did not post the thread o_O

13. Antcodd

Antcodd Member

Hi guys, I found this thread from google, I had the same problem after following a guide to delete the Media Player application data directory to fix a corrupted media library, which is fine on xp because the playlists are stored somewhere else but they werent regenerated on Vista. After much experimenting I managed to fix it (sort of).

1. Get the playlists from another computer, user or create a test user they are in C:\users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\Sync Playlists\<language>\<some hex string>\ (you will need to have show hidden files on or type it into the address bar) and put them in the same place for the user that the playlists are broken on.

2. Then use the start search box to run regedit.exe and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences and look at ObfuscatedSyncPlaylists in the right pane to get the hex string required for your user account (it seems to be randomly generated on account creation I made 2 test accounts with the same name at different times and they had different hex strings). Change the hex string folder name (C:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\Sync Playlists\<language>\<hex string>\) to the string in the registry.

3. Unfortunately this does not work, you will need to recreate your library from scratch by deleteing all the .wmdb files (I've tried deleteing all files but the main database file and it still doesn't work) in C:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\ to get back the playlist files. Unfortunately this means re-adding media, removing duplicates and updating tag names that you have changed. To minimize this click the arrow under Library in Windows Media Player and click Save Media Information Changes to save your ratings and updated tags to the original files.

Not a very nice solution since it involves deleteing your library but atleast it works and its a lot better than reinstalling windows :)

These instructions (with different application data directories and the playlists are located in My Music\Sync Playlists) should also work on XP though it is probably much easier to just reinstall WMP on XP since you can.

Hope this helps,

Antcodd

14. jtan189

jtan189 Regular member

Hey. Thanks a bunch. I decided to delete the wmp library files. I'm going to work on getting the correct tags for all my songs now. But at least I got my sync playlists back!