1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Player 9 Beta.. PROBLEMS!!

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by VCDjunkie, Sep 13, 2002.

1. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

I just installed WM 9 beta, thinking that it would be cool to have the latest and greatest, and the first thing I did to test it was load one of my divx movies, and it crashed.. thinking that it may be a problem with the divx 5 codec, I tried a movie encoded with divx 3.11, same problem.. crashed. I then used the latest Nimo codec pack to reload all of my Divx codecs, and the problem still persists..

Guess what boyz and girls.. I will be reinstalling WM 7 again soon!

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Sorry dood, WMP9 can't be removed after it's installed, other than using "system restore" option. Unless you have W2k, which allows removing it in normal way.

But as usual, it seems that MS wants to force everybody to upgrade to use their method.

Anyway, I think most of us still use WMP6.4 -- at least I know that I will use it probably forever, or maybe I give MPC a shot someday.

3. VCDjunkie

dRD, thanks.. I was beginning to think it would not be possible to fix without reinstalling windows XP.. The system restore thing worked. At least MS created something worthwhile.. I can't get WMP 6.4 to install on XP.. I guess I am stuck with WMP 8.0.. at least it works with my DiVX movies.

:)~

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Ah, you didn't know the well-hidden fact about WMP6? It ships with all Windows versions anyway :)

Just go to your Start menu and select Run.. And type 'mplayer2.exe'.

5. VCDjunkie

Sweeeeeeeeeeet !!!!!!!!!!

6. joebloe

joebloe Guest

Thanx for the info on opening mp6. To append your findings regarding mp9, it does work with the new divx version 5. I downloaded Monsters,inc from kazaa and, after reading this thread, tried to view it through mp6, since I had already installed the divx version 3.x and found I couldn't view it in mp9. Anyway, couldn't view it in mp6 either, so I installed the version 5 codec, and the film plays in both my mp6 and mp9.

7. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

yeah I tried the windows media player 9 also it does work with divx 5.02.I had to reinstall the codecs but alas when media player 9 would change media it would lock up and freeze ...roll back is a life savor. I have yet to find one media player that plays all the media I want the way I want. I'll stick with media player 7 or 8 and winamp = )