1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

??? Windows Media Player cannot play the file. One or more codecs required to play the file could not be found. ???

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by jlrm365, Mar 4, 2005.

1. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Hello :)

I have just spent a few hours downloading what I believe should be a nice file. I have double clicked, Windows Media Player has started and I am greeted with:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. One or more codecs required to play the file could not be found."

This puzzles me. I right-click, as I have AVIcodec installed. It takes forever and a day to come up with its summary, which is odd in itself. The summary is:

File : 796 MB (694 MB), duration: 2:07:24, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 64 %

Video : 3.82 GB, 4281 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 544*288 (16:9), DX50 = DivXNetworks Divx v5, Unsupported

Audio : 87 MB, 96 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported

Ok. So I click to the "web" button, to right of the Video line. I am transported to the DivX site, whereupon I decide to uninstall my previous DivX codec - the free one. I then Download "DivX Pro™ 5.2.1 for Windows" and install it.

I restart my computer, just in case there are gremlins hiding.

Again I double click the avi file... and receive the same message. The AVIcodec gives the same summary!

HELP!!!

What is happening and how do I get the file to play?!

Thanks!

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

3. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Having been through the entire "having problem with codecs" thread, by Praetor, I am sure it's not that.

Also, attempting to open the file in VirtualDub, it gave me a message along the lines of "Cannot open. File does not have a movie block".

It seems that it was huge, was recognisable as an avi but had no data. Odd. Anyway, it's gone so is no longer a concern.

4. fez1122

fez1122 Member

5. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

It's gone so is no longer a concern.