1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows media player no longer plays dvds

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by chopatha, Apr 2, 2005.

1. chopatha

chopatha Member

My Windows Media player no longer seems to play dvds. I've never had a problem before but it's coming up with an error message: can't play dvd because a problem has occurred with digital copyright protection. I've never had this prob. before and some of the dvds I try to play are quite old. Anyway, I presume I need to update my codec? - What do I look for and is there freeware for this? Also my nero dvd (showtime) player has never had sound, is there an update/plug-in I can get to rectify this? I did look at your play-back probs. forum, do I just need to do what is suggested there to make my media player work properly? I downloaded cliprex ds dvd player originally to get windows media player working. I have just uninstalled and re-downloaded with no difference.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

3. chopatha

chopatha Member

Hey there, thanks for the link. Just downloaded VLC and tested. Picture and sound jumpy - I obviously have to go and do some reading now on how to fine tune. I'll let you know how it goes. Thankyou for your help - much appreciated. I downloaded some encoder/decoder package from this site (free) when I was trying to get windows media player to work - would you recommend I delete this off my system? Can media players conflict? Should I uninstall Showtime and Windows Media Player?

4. chopatha

chopatha Member

I guess I mas as well unistall other media players - they are a bout as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.....