1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows media player not responding when wanting to play AVI files

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by gatty7, Feb 25, 2007.

1. gatty7

gatty7 Member

I have been able to successfully downlaod and watch AVI videos for some time now using windows media player 10 & 11 but all of a sudden when I go to open a AVI file to watch on WMP the player does not respond and I get the pop up saying
    "Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close."

with an error signature

"AppName: wmplayer.exe AppVer: 10.0.0.3802 ModName: unknown
    ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00000000"

I am still able to play all music files via the player this just seems to be happening with all AVI files I try to play.

I have downloaded Gspot and all the codecs are there so I do not think this is the problem.

Has anyone had this problem before and if so how can I fix it as this is doing my head in.

Thanks

2. DVDultra

DVDultra Guest

Have you tried any other Media player?If so, try booting your Restoration disk and reinstall Windows media Player.I use VLC media player for all my AVI files and it works great.

3. gatty7

gatty7 Member

I have reinstalled windows and restored the windows media player and the same problem still exists.

I have been able to watch the AVI files by using DivX which seems to work fine, so looks like I may have to keep doing that.

4. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

You can download WMP 10 directly from Microsoft (if your OS is geniune); it's about a 12mb file. I had a problem recently with WMP and a repair/reinstall cleared it right up. Or you could try completely removing the player and reinstall after you have the download in hand. Worth a try anyway.