1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by opp2, Oct 6, 2004.

1. silbro

silbro Guest

Hey,

I have the same problem. I think it could be a virus or that something is running that you need to quit in order to uninstall the windows media player succesfully. the jerk that said that your media files are corrupt..... aehm even the crappy windows media player would tell you so. it would not be able to play them and make them red in the list or it just plays half and then youll here a nasty noise. but either way the files are most likely not corrupt! uninstalling doesnt work and installing windows player 9 doesnt work either, also tried that. One thing is for sure, windows sucks! If you aren't using it to play games just install linux and live your easy life ;) if i get further with the problem ill write again. c-ya

2. cindiesue

cindiesue Guest

I also have problem with undeleting WMP. It says it is being used by other programs. I also didn't find it in my Control Panel/Uninstall area. So I attempted to 'delete' it from Explore. I want to undelete and install newest version.

Unless someone can show me how to set it as my 'default' music and video player.
    Thanks

3. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

Firstly, Auslander, quit being a jerk. You're not helping these folks with your snide remarks.

I'm using Windows XP as my OS. I checked in my Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. WMP 10 is listed there, which means that it CAN be uninstalled. If you don't see it listed there on your PC, see my following suggestion.

There's a good chance that one or more of your Windows files are missing or corrupt. This is probably not a problem that can be solved on this forum.

I suggest you go to the Microsoft website and find their troubleshooting guide/link. From there you can directly email a Windows techie who will try to solve your problem. Chances are, they will guide you through a step-by-step of how to do a Windows file repair.

Message to opp2: Do NOT use Norton CleanSweep to uninstall programs. On Windows XP it deletes windows files that are needed. Norton Antivirus should work fine. If you suspect that you have a virus or trojan, use the Norton Install disk to scan your system. If you have Norton SystemWorks, use Norton WinDoctor to try fix a few things.

That's all the advice I can give on this subject.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Frank, I'm not being a jerk. I'm offering the best advice I can. I wasn't being snide, I was offering a solution. It's hard to tell how far file corruption or virii can actually go. When I have issues like this, I save myself a hassle by restoring files. I can make a clean start out of the situation by doing that, and often that's all that is required.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]if only i was half wolf...
    [​IMG]
    Antec SOHO II Server Case w/ 400w psu
    AMD Athlon 2600+ & Seagate 80GB HDD
    Windows XP and a few other goodies[/small]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  5. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

You cant delete WMP because they are protected windows system files. There is a programme available to enable you to disable the protection to work arould this.
    http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

Why dont you try BSPlayer / MPC 6.4.8.2 imo both are better than WMP

6. cindiesue

cindiesue Guest

other progams I am sure are good, but my company uses wmp and that is what i must use for business. I use MusicMatch as my mail music player, CD burner and web music program, and i am happy.

7. Why_Not

Why_Not Member

Well I finaly Just put in a new hard drive and move my imporant stuff to it, and formated well it was all PHDucked

8. elzfaith

elzfaith Member

I recently installed windows media player, its an updated edition, or something like that. well, its harder to use, and i dont want it, how do I go back to the old version?