1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows media player

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by denarfra, Jun 5, 2011.

1. denarfra

denarfra Member

os is windows 7. when i download divx codecs my windows media player does not play some of my avi videos. I require divx to play some movies. Is there any way to have these codecs and not have media player not respond

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Try a Google search for the k-lite codec pack. Should help you out. Do not pay for it; should be free. And be sure to run a virus check on the pack before install.

3. Pegasis

Pegasis Regular member

I agree with rulisky, although windows 7 should have most codecs for what you need, the K-lite codec pack will be of use.

I use this often for when installing xp machines needing codecs, but again virus check just to be safe.

Also try a different player, VLC Player is rated quite high and is able to play most if not all video and audio formats out there.

4. jt141990

jt141990 Member

I'm not going to say do not listen to these guys but what I will say is although k-lite will work "in most cases" it is a lug to carry and intentionally installs a fist full of most often unused encoders and decoders, the best I can tell anyone that wants basic functionality of codecs + ability and compatibility to stream through virtually any streaming software is download just ffdshow tryouts which is a resurrected project of the original ffdshow started by the guys at doom9 it can be found here Click here for ffdshow tryout my best advice to anyone is do not install codec packs unless absolutely required. I am not trying to argue or start an argument although if anyone has any doubts or questions I have about 3 pages I paste into here that shows the compare and contrast and more.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  5. krad32

krad32 Member

You can also try CCCP codec this might help you.

6. jt141990

jt141990 Member

This again is another Codec Pack with more than needed software here is what is included

- FFDShow 1.1.3887.0
    - FLV Splitter (MPC-HC) 1.5.2.3268
    - Haali Media Splitter 1.11.96.14
    - Mpeg2 Decoder (MPC-HC) 1.5.2.3268
    - VSFilter (MPC-HC) 2.40.3252.2
    - CoreWavPack 1.1.1
    - Media Player Classic Home Cinema 1.5.2.3268

The only two things even worth the time is FFDShow
    and Mpeg-2 Decoder there for only 2/7 installations are only worth the time and space sure you can say Media Player Classic is great, and it is decent however if there was such an argument it would be easier to just download and use VLC Media player as the default player seeing as it would not require the codec installations separately. Most of the time though things like Haali and CoreWAVPack (no real need for) interfere with other programs running on separate media transcoding algorithms there for as stated before codec packs really are not a good answer even though they are an easy fix in most circumstances.