1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Movie Maker Codec Issues

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by oreo1976, Jun 26, 2007.

1. oreo1976

oreo1976 Member

I took some video on my digital camera and I'm able to play it in both Windows Media Player and Real Player. However when I try to load the video (I've tried saving in a bunch of different formats but presently it's in .avi) into Movie Maker it keeps telling me I don't have the codec required to play it. I've downloaded k-lite full codec (3.2.0 I think) and restarted and I still get the same error message.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong and/or if there's another easy to use *free* video editing program out there that I can download? All I want to do is literally crop a bit off the video so I can put it on my facebook page!

2. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

3. oreo1976

oreo1976 Member

Yikes-sarcasm much, lol. I actually did do a google search for free editing programs and have bookmarked the pages I found, but I my first hope was to fix the Movie Maker issue if possible. I'm also facing a hard drive space issue. I figure if I load something new I'm going to have to delete MM to make the space and if I can't get the new program to work then I'm really SOL. Also if anyone is using any of these free programs any recommendations would be great. These lists seem to say all of them are easy and then that doesn't always seem to bear out in real life for less technically savvy folk like myself.

4. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

hmmm if space is an issue have you thought of buying another drive??? or maybe an external drive. have u tried reinstalling movie maker? also i did a bit more of googling and i found this. you can download it and see if it works for you.
    http://xoops.parakazanin.com/news+article.storyid+650.htm

p.s. sorry about the sarcasm didn't know you looked because when ppl post here and ask for help i usually just google it and find the solution, its just makes me...........

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  5. oreo1976

oreo1976 Member

Oh the plot thickens. I have 2 hard drives -- one teensy tiny 6GB drive and one huge 80GB drive that I will likely never fill. I've moved everything I know how to safely move to the big E drive (music, pics etc) but the operating system runs on the C drive (i think that's how these things work). Sometimes I can download programs onto the E drive and they work (like iTunes) but sometimes they seem to need the "fixings" in the "program files" folder to work. I'll try to downloading a free editing program onto my E-drive though and see if it works that way. At some point I know I'll probably have to get everything moved to the E drive but I'll have to call in the geek squad or something to do it.

In the meantime I'll take a gander at the link you posted tonight when I have the time to sit and absorb it.

In terms of re-installing Movie Maker I'm a bit clueless--I assume that would entail getting out my old Windows installation cd and just choosing to install movie maker again; does it give you the option to just install one component (i think it just came with XP)? Can you tell I didn't set up my computer?

No worries about the sarcasm--I should have explained my situation more completely.

6. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

7. oreo1976

oreo1976 Member

i am not worthy, lol! i will check this out tonight!

8. oreo1976

oreo1976 Member

Calamity has struck. I tried downloading Cyber Director and couldn't get the exe file to do it's thing. Then I tried downloading Virtual Dub with sort of the same effect. I tried another program called Wax which I managed to launch and then it couldn't handle the file format I was using. I uninstalled that and then the world ended. XP needs to be re-installed and I have no idea what else has been hurt on my computer so the geek squad will be taking a crap load of my money to fix this. We are very sad.

9. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

sorry that i have failed you. and how much money do they charge??? and if you have the system disk you can do it your self. i can try and help you but im not quite good at explaining situations with a lot of details so you can try and ask other members.

10. oreo1976

oreo1976 Member

Aw it's okay. I'm not really sure if it's just the OS that's been affected so I'm going to hand over my credit card (249.00 plus taxes) and let them fix it. Then if they screw it up I have some recourse. It sucks but I figure for what I'm paying I'll see how many tasks I can get them to do (perhaps some cleaning and furniture building).