1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows OEM ??? Please Help ???

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by batigol, Aug 29, 2007.

1. batigol

batigol Member

Hi, I have bought a new p.c. and have loaded X.P.pro on to it but Microsoft will not let me validate it as i have it on another system as well It is a genuine copy but they say i need to purchase another copy for my new p.c. I have spoke to someone who says the cheapest way to do this is to purchase a copy of Windows OEM, but i do not know what the difference is between this and my copy as there is a big difference in price.I need to know if it is a stand alone version, i.e (just a case of me loading the OEM version the same as my X.P pro version)

Cheers

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

The only difference OEM stands for, is:

1. Microsoft doesn't support the OS...whoever sold it to you does.
    2. Licensing terms dictate that the key to install, is for one machine, and one machine only. (aka the motherboard)

Basicallly, OEM is only allowed to be installed on a single machine... and it stays with that machine. But what it boils down to, is that its to stay with the original motherboard in that machine. You can legally swap out any other device within the machine, with the only exception being the motherboard before the license becomes invalid.

There are NO functionality differences otherwise. Whether Retail, OEM, Upgrade or Corporate..... it's all the same XP.

OEM copies sold thru distributors are typically cheaper then full Retail versions.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  3. batigol

batigol Member

Hi, Morph416

Thanks very much for the advice

Cheers