1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows on ps3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by IM1, Apr 19, 2007.

1. IM1

IM1 Regular member

is it possible to put any versions of windows on ps3?

2. touran22

touran22 Regular member

No becuase the hardware doesnt allow the Windows software to run of it.

3. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

You can put windows on the PS3,but you have to emulate it through linux(which means it runs extremely slow).I saw a video awhile ago showing someone running Windows XP using linux off the PS3.It is possible,but as mentioned would be really slow.

4. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

I did some research and windows cant be installed on ps3 because it uses a PowerPc Architecture like the old macs and windows does not support it!

5. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

You can run windows on the PS3,but it sucks because it runs very slow.Windows can be emulated using Linux here is proof http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&message.id=1072728#M1072728 .Not to mention if you search on google you will get more proof.If you search you should be able to find that Windows XP has been emulated using linux on the PS3 as well.To be honest I don't think it is anything special,but it is possible and I wouldn't say it can't be done.The PS3 only has 256MB of RAM,so even if you did get it up and running it would be a waste of time.

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  6. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

Umm sorry to corect you but linux only has 200mb ram or less (LOL) (sorry for bad spelling!)

7. IM1

IM1 Regular member

So does that mean we can run mac os on it?

8. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I think you need to read more,because the internal memory of the PS3 is only 256MB of RAM.Linux uses less RAM than Windows so it runs better.I don't know what you are talking about reloadSE,but you need to do more research before calling somone wrong.I will say it once again,Windows is being emulated from Linux.Your not installing an OS,but emulating it so it is a waste of time.The best thing to do IM1 is use Linux as an OS,and if you want to use Windows than your best bet is to run it off of a PC.The PS3 doesn't have enough internal memory to run Windows at decent speeds.

9. IM1

IM1 Regular member

I dont really need windows on a ps3, i just should it would be pretty cool if you could

10. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I'm not saying you couldn't,but the speeds you would get would be extremely slow.

11. IM1

IM1 Regular member

thanks for the info

12. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

Ahh I am right cause linux is on top of the ps3 os so it doesn't have as much of the ram, cpu, gpu etc.!! get your facts right...

13. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

IM1 (your mac thing) I'm not sure but i read somewhere that you might be able to but i highly doubt as the otheros installers are for linux kboot etc.

14. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

reloadSE so what exactly are you trying to say anyways,I never said Linux uses 256MB of RAM and 200MB of RAM is not accurately correct.I was talking about the max internal memory of the PS3.So what exactly is wrong with what I said,did I ever say Linux uses 256MB of RAM.I never said Linux uses 256MB of RAM I said the internal memory of the PS3 is 256MB of RAM.Your not right or wrong,but what the hell did OS consumption have to do with what I said in the previous post.The memory consumption depends on how many processors are running at one time and can be different on each system,so you can't give an accurate result of how much Linux uses.Your 200MB theory is just an estimate,not right or wrong so your still wrong with what you said.Windows does consume alot of memory and 256MB of RAM is not going to get you anywhere.

15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

@ reloadSE
    You can run windows but as L-Burna said it would run like a dog,to run linux it only needs 128MB (depending on which distro you use) the PS3 OS uses at a guess say 20-50MB which would leave only a small amount of ram for windows, hence it will be so slow it'd be painfull,just remember they're talk'n about running windows in a virtual partition inside of linux not natively as a stand alone install,so basicly your running linux and windows at the same time and sharing the available PS3 RAM

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  16. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

I'm sorry L-Burna I thought you talking about how much internal ram was avalible to linux on ps3... yes i already no winodws would be crap on linux thru vitural stuff... but wotabout 98se 32mb ram.... (sorry for bad spelling)

17. Chaos_

Chaos_ Member

I'mmmm gonna have to disagree with ya on that one. Why would you need to REBOOT into either mode? You boot into "otheros (linux)" or you boot into gameos.

also
    There are distros (not sure if they are installable on the ps3) that use less that 16mb of ram.

18. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

Ha! I did some more research and its called a Hypervisor chip that doesn't let you take over the gpu and stuff I WIN!!!!!!!!! (I think)

19. Chaos_

Chaos_ Member

Supposedly there is a hypervisor limiting the ability to access certain components in the PS3. supposedly. who knows. that makes the most sense, and i think thats what $ony tells people. not really sure what they really tell people, to be honest though. I honestly would like to see someone make a video driver that uses the cell processor to render. I remember early demos of the ps3 hardware showed video of just the cell rendering different scenes, before the gpu was installed.

20. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

Whats the point of having a hypervisor chip... I mean its not like were going to code halo 3 to run on the ps3 or anything.... anyway could some1 help me get a easy virtual machine app for linux ppc ubuntu so i could emulate windows 98se

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007