1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Service Pack help needed

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DarkmanX, Oct 3, 2004.

1. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

I just update the Windows Service Pack 2. Prior to that I ran Spybot Search and Destroy, with no Spyware found. I also scanned using Norton Antivirus. I finally made a restore point. After installing the service pack, the service pack does not recognize my Antivirus. I have read about that issue. My ? is that I can't access a folder on my H Drive (200 gig WD Hard drive). I get a Windows Explorer has encountered a problem. Error Signiture Appname: Explorer.exe
    Mod Ver 5.1.2600.1217
    Appver 6.0.2800.1221
    offset 000096cf
    Modname: ntdll.dll
    I tried to use system restore and it states that it was unable to restore to my designated retore point. I have had this issue (not being able to restore a previously save point) for quite a while, and was wondering if anyone has had this problem. I will attempt to uninstall the service pack a reinstall in a few days, but I would like to see if anyone has a recommendation prior to me doing this.

2. AMDManiac

AMDManiac Member

well, i tried to system restore to an earlier point without SP2 and my computer crashed and i have spent hours trying to fix it. my hard drive is not recognized and windows won't start. i would suggest not doing any kind of system restore with SP2. just go into the add/remove programs in the control panel and if you don't find it on the list then click on the sytem components to the left of the list. it should be in one of those lists and uninstall service pack 2. thats the best i can come up with, good luck

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

SP2 is one of the biggest problem makers Microsoft has come up with in a long time. Do not install it. I never install a major upgrade like that for at least 6 months from issue date. Microsoft doesn't seem to test this stuff anymore so we are the ones stuck with the problems.

Jerry