1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows USB driver help (recognizing the PSP)

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by RyoT3G, Jan 5, 2007.

1. RyoT3G

RyoT3G Member

Hi am having a lot of trouble trying to get my computer to recognize and install the drivers for the PSP.

I am following the following guide:
    http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/about40419.html

Currently I have irShell 3.1 installed with the 3.02 OEB firmware. I get to the step of clicking on the
    (Toggle USBHost) where it then says that:
    Windows will make the "New Hardware Connected" sound and find the "PSP Type B".
    This does not happen though. It will come up with found new hardware 'usb device' though it doesn't recognize it.
    I have also tried the following step of locating the driver folder. It keeps searching and will then just go to the
    'Cannot install this Hardware'.

I am using windows XP with service pack 2 installed. I have downloaded the latest drivers for my make of computer.
    As well as this I have tried connecting it up using two different USB leads in all the different ports and on three different computers. Also there doesn't appear to be any actual problem with the leads as it can connect through 'usb mode' and will come up on the computer as an external hard drive.

Am now completely lost with what to try. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  4. RyoT3G

RyoT3G Member

Well I have attempted to but with no success. I am using the file that was included with the PSPhost program. My understanding is that when you run the program after a short while it will come up with the message 'connected'. This has not happened and I have tried it connected in both the USB mode and when in 'Toggle USBHost' mode but still no luck.

5. RyoT3G

RyoT3G Member

If its worth it I can post a video to show you what I am doing to see where I may be going wrong.

6. ThisDude

ThisDude Regular member

download this:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4a6adq

extract it

Then plug in ur psp type b wen u see new hardware wizard choose advanced then browse to the folder u saved the driver then choose psp.inf and it should install. if it doesn't work giv me another shout.

7. RyoT3G

RyoT3G Member

Really appreciate the help though am still no closer to getting it to work. The thing is when it is connected there is never any mention of 'PSP type 2' simply 'USB device', and despite following those steps it still says 'cannot install hardware'.

8. RyoT3G

RyoT3G Member

bump

9. liam22

liam22 Member

I'm having the exact same problem here. I plug in the PSP with IRShell running, toggle on the USB Host, driver thing pops up in windows asking for the drivers for a "USB Device."
    Any help is appreciated, thanks. :)

10. Phre3ak

Phre3ak Member

Me three. from a quick scan of all the posts I could find on the topic, it looks like it has to do with me running xp with service pack 2. makes sense, because my last comp ran windows ME and recognized the psp np. now it either doesn't see it, or says the unknown usb device has malfunctioned. I'll try to find the fix for it in the forums, I can't be the first to have this problem.

11. liam22

liam22 Member

I've just tried it on SP1 and am still having the same problem. :( ... Any other suggestions while I get my hands on a computer with ME or 98? Thanks for your help though.

12. mannyman

mannyman Member

i bet you all of you that i can read your minds................................................................

you all downgraded and have ta-082's HAHAHA

well theres been a bug when ta-082's have been downgraded and you have to fix it so basically, theres a encryption key thats off on your psp, hence why it says usb device instead of psp type b :)

13. RyoT3G

RyoT3G Member

Well don't know about the others but your right for me, mine is a downgraded TA-082.

So is there actually a way around this, you say "you have to fix it so basically, theres a encryption key thats off on your psp", what do I have to do to do this?

Cheers

14. mannyman

mannyman Member

well its an encryption key that is on your NAND flash chip, which is EXTREMLY dangerous to mess with, but since your psp is already corrupted, there is ZERO chance of brick. what you need to find is a psp that did not downgrade froma ta-082 and has atleasr 1.50. Then what you do is run this dumper firmware that dumps their encryption key since theirs is the correct one. then you use the flasher program to flash your psp with their dump. then when you reconnect, it should say psp type b. ill give you a link with mine already dumped :)

http://edn.redswoosh.net/http://s2....3b3ff194048_xsxnv6m8fgsc0sq5/usbhostfsfix.rar

extract that to the root of your memory stick, overwriting everything then run the new program labeled psp ta-082 dumper and hit x and then it should show up as psp type b :)

15. Phre3ak

Phre3ak Member

ta-082? more details please, I play them, I don't build them. My PSP does show up as a PSP when I use one of the other usb ports on the back, still under xp sp2, but shows as psp A, not psp B. The drive shows up and I can open it, view the properties including drivers, but trying to drag and drop a file to it or create a folder on it gives a message 'unable to find the specified file' or like that

16. hpo56

hpo56 Regular member

I was a 2.80 downgraded 1.50 and then to 3.03 oe-b the usb mode from XMB works but the irshell won't doesn't you can still connect so who cares!

17. hpo56

hpo56 Regular member

Wait whoops lol i didn't read I had the same problem but i just restarted everything or try going to recovery mode and mess with the configurations.

18. hpo56

hpo56 Regular member

Aww crap it just happened to me i tested it on Irshell it didn't work so i tried USB Mode and it still doesn't work it's HELP ME!!!

19. RyoT3G

RyoT3G Member

Wow cheers mannyman, just finished doing what you suggested and it worked perfectly, am now able to use irShell.

Cheers

20. liam22

liam22 Member

Mannyman, I also have a TA-082...can doing what you suggested brick my PSP? I'm running 3.03 OE-B at the moment. Thanks for your help.

21. mannyman

mannyman Member

no it cannot brick since your encryption key is already corrupted.
    so if at worse, it will just corrupt it even more, but not likly.
    and if it does corrupt, that has nothing to do with the regular usb connection, as this cannot be affected unless you modify something on the flash. cheers