1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista Media Player 11 Not Playing Video for WMV (Black screen)

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by palmernet, Jan 8, 2008.

1. palmernet

palmernet Member

I am unable to see the video on WMV files using Vista Media Player 11 on a Windows Vista Machine.

Using GSpot, the MS/AV option shows wmvideo decoder dmo.

I can watch WMV using Media Player Classic.

What can the problem be with Media Player 11?

2. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

palmernet,
    Unlike Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic has MPEG2/SVCD/DVD codecs built-in. Acquire Media Info. Yank the file in it. Find out what codec(s)are needed for playback and download them. On the other hand, you could download K-Lite Codec to avoid incremental codecs download; this bundle contains virtually everything you need to play the most accepted audio and video formats.

3. palmernet

palmernet Member

I installed K-Lite Codec. It installed OK and removed a list of broken codecs, but did not resolve the issue.

How do you I "yank" the file form Media Info?

4. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Do you have other codecs pack installed? If you want to find out for sure what codecs you need to properly play the video file, just drop the the file in Media Info. Afterwards, download the necessary codecs. If you have other codecs installed, I suggest you uninstall everything first, and then reinstall K-Lite Codec Full.