1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista PC starting up, but keeps 'turning off' in a way (graphics card dying, possibly)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by OmriSama, Jan 24, 2012.

1. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

TLDR version at the bottom.

So my computer was working completely fine yesterday... Until I got back from school today and turned it on to find out that, there's a problem.

What basically happens, is that I turn the computer on, and it starts working fine, I get to the login screen, I choose to log on, or not, and it seems to be working fine. But what suddenly happens is that the monitor quickly fades to black and "goes to sleep" as if it is not receiving any signal from the computer. Then, the computer (which makes a noticeable amount of noise), stays on but becomes much quieter. It is still on, and you can hear that it is on, but it almost sounds as if it's not on because it's so quiet, like all the parts stopped working.

So that's my problem, a computer that stops sending signals to the monitor and then possibly stops 'working'... I'm not sure what's going on myself.

A very similar thing happened two years ago, where my graphics card would randomly stop working and the screen blacked out (I had to replace the card). However, I don't remember the computer back then becoming as quiet as mine after the screen blacking out. So im worried it might be more than just a graphics card issue.

I haven't done some of the troubleshooting stuff, such as trying VGA instead of DVI-D, both from the motherboard and the Graphics card. I also need to clean out dust in the system, and disconnect some of the cables taking power.

But still, I am posting because I want to know what you guys think could be the problem. I certainly don't want to shell out more money for another graphics card.

If this matters to you guys, the computer is from 2007.

TL;DR: my computer/monitor keeps blacking out. Help.

Thank you.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

well a couple of things to try.first remove your graphics card and check for blown capacitors.they are the little "tin cans".check for domed or blown tops and leaks.if all is well try reseating your card.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try the onboard video to see what happens. check the capacitors on the motherboard as aldan suggests. does the videocard need additional power from psu & if so then try another psu.

4. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Well it would be weird that a video card thats been working fine for 2 years suddenly needs more power...

5. ddp

no, not if the psu is dying thereby not giving enough to videocard.

6. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Ok, so I tried disconnecting power cables from the computer. Didn't work, computer was still blacking out.

So I hooked up a VGA cable from the Motherboard to the monitor, went to the BIOS, changed the default display card, and it started working.

It asked me if I wanted to do startup repair, so I said yes. After that it asked if I wanted to do system restore, so I said yes but it didn't ask me what date I want to restore to... but anyway, when it finished the system restore, the screen blacked out again, and the computer was on, and it wasn't doing anything.

So unfortunately I had to shut it down and start again, and this time windows started normally. Although, something weird happened.

As it was loading, and after I logged on and all, the screen kept flickering. Now it's not doing that, but it was strange.

But TLDR: Computer works with onboard video. I'll have to check the video card later.
    For the record, I believe it's a GeForce GTX 210. From around 2009/2010.

7. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Darn.

I spent a few hours opening up my computer and cleaning all the dust out of various parts. The graphics card was FULL of dust.

I was sure after all the extensive cleaning I did that it would work fine.

And a first it seemed like it, for awhile the graphics card was working fine. But then it shut down again and did the same things :(

8. aldan

aldan Active member

if you did a system restore to when your video card was still installed then you may be running on the bad card.make sure onboard video is enabled.if it works look for a new video card.

9. Rawblivion

Rawblivion Member

Hey I believe I'm having the same issue as you my friend...

Looking every wheres for info/help

My monitor stops receiving a signal shortly after booting... either when i try to enter bios or moments after windows loads.

I too had a flickering the last time i was able to log on my machine with a display.

the screen display would flicker and sometimes i would receive what appeared to be a dos screen with a "/" or sumthing flashing at the top (i don't remember exactly what now)

You think this means our videocards have died???

Would just like to add that I am running Vista as well on this machine... I attempted to install win 7 but lose my display just before selecting drive phase. So i have not began the process.

I tested the monitor and cable on my laptop and it functioned just fine.

I do not have a spare power supply or video card to test. Would like to determine which one to replace if need be...

I too had a large dust collection accumulating

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  10. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Yeah it seems highly likely that our video cards died. I wonder if there's a way to determine if your videocard died by looking at it... when I opened my computer up and took the card out, everything looked okay.

11. aldan

aldan Active member

if you disable your video card and run on your onboard video ,and everything works fine,then your video card is your problem.

12. ddp

or try the card on another pc to see if still a problem or not.