1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Eugene482, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Hi, I'll soon be getting a DX10 card so I'll need to use Windows Vista. So far, there is nothing I like that Vista has. Is there any serious problems with Vista? Also, just to know, are there any problems with "downloaded" Windows Vista? What about the CPU and GPU usage? Is there any way to reduce it by making the interfaces look like Classic XP? Thanks a lot.

2. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  3. jony218

jony218 Guest

I've been testing out windows vista, to me it reminds me more of LINUX than of windows as far as complexity and look. Loading programs takes longer, bootup and shutdown takes longer. Add/Remove programs was renamed something else thats not so simple to remember. I do like the translucent backgrounds. Many of the programs that I use daily on windows xp , don't work on vista. Even though this is the future of computing, for right now I don't think it's ready for primetime. My computer is a athlon64 3000 but on vista it feels very sluggish. I think the problem is the windows folder, on my c: drive it clocks in at over 9GB. For right now I will stick with my windows xp pro with windowblinds to make it look modern(with no slow down), I prefer the speed over looks any day.

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

For the look of vista you can also use Vista Transformtion Pack. Basically someone with Vista took all the icons it uses, packaged them into a isntaller, and when run it takes the standard XP icons and replaces them with those from Vista. And this is not just icons but fonts and more. Heres a quote from the homepage of V.T.P. ....

If you want to check it out heres the hompage

5. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Hi, thanks for the responses. I ran Vista Transformation pack, well it looked good. But so many .dll problems and that message pops all the time. I'll be sure to check out VLITE. I heard there are "federal" back doors in Vista, since I always get stuff from the internet, I am not sure about that. The PC that I am building is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    GeForce 8800 GTS w/ 320 mb VRAM
    2GB DDR2
    300 GB HD
    Conroe Asus C2D Mobo w/ PCI-E 16x

I couldn't care less for the looks of Vista, they only slow my PC down. Is there an option in VLITE to even restore the alignment like the have in XP? I mean, right click desktop it says "properties" not "personalize"? Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

If your still interested in using Vista Transformation Pack. I would highly recommend first removing it, but then removing then removing the Windows Blinds settings, rebooting, and then install Vista T.Pack.

7. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

oh no, I rebooted my entire windows after that. It's ok. My current PC barely qualifies for XP let alone Vista T pack. ANY Federal Back doors?

Oh, my current PC sucks pretty bad that it makes me laugh, kind of ...

P4 1.8 GHz
    256mb RAM
    GeForce 440 MX w/ 32mb
    20GB HD
    SyncMaster 753DF CRT

a nice rig..

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Vista Transformation Pack doesn't need system specs. It's just replacing your XP icons, sounds, etc. with the ones from Vista Ultimate. If you thinking about Vista's Aero interface then no you won't get that, you also won't get the need for a videocard to use Aero.

9. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

point is, all I want is an XP with DX10 capability. All I said about Vista T pack is that I tried doing tthat stuff and it sucked. So just like I said, I will see the VLITE when I'll get another PC.

Anyways do you know if there were federal problems with Vista? I know something about iPods.

10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

If you want that check out the Alky Project. Heres a quote from there site...

11. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

I don't think it's out yet. Thanks though, I'll keep an eye on that.

12. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yeah the official release isn't out yet and the beta is buggy, but if there is any chance of Vista gaming on XP it is from the Alky Project guys.