1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows will not start

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by ianmerc, Feb 3, 2007.

1. ianmerc

ianmerc Guest

Hello
    Can someone please help me. I had norton systemworks 2006. I recently installed norton systemworks 2007 on my computer. After I rebooted Windows would not start. It goes through the start up motions then goes to a screen that gives me options of starting windows normally or in safe mode, and insafe mode with networking. It says at the top that " we apologize but windows could not start successfully. When I select "start windows normally" it goes back through the start up cycle but does not start and goes to the page i mentioned above again. I did not select go back as part of the installation and i had the 2006 go back disabled. When I try to go to system restore it always fails to restore. When I go to safe mode to try and uninstall norton it is not listed in my programs.
    Can anyone please help me to fix this problem.
    Thank you very much.

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

In safe mode, have you tried doing a search, or going into your program files and manually searching for it there? Also, windows has system restore points, where you can restore your computer to 2 days ago, 1 week ago, etc.

3. ianmerc

ianmerc Guest

Thanks for the response waymon.
    Yes I tried safe mode and browsed my program files and went to add/remove programs. Norton does not show in either place. When I start up in safe mode and click on start (desktop) SEARCH is not there and neither is RUN. I have tried system restore using several different restore points. When my system reboots I am informed that my system could not be restored at tha selected point.
    I have spoken to the guys at best buy and compusa and neither place was very helpful at all.
    Still looking for Help!!!

4. killalot

killalot Active member

If you can take your hardrive out your pc and put it in another working pc with the same windows version i.e. XP and set it up as slave boot the pc see if it detects errors on the drive when it boots if it doesn’t go into my computer right click the drive select properties choose scan drive for errors and fix might need to reboot to fix any errors found had sort of same problem the MBR was corrupt worth a go