1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP Activation

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bikekid8, Mar 7, 2005.

1. bikekid8

bikekid8 Regular member

hi, because of the curious person that i am, i started scrweing around with teh windows xp activation from my new clean version of xp when i accidently deleted a file from system 32, its called actshell.htm its located at windows\system32\oobe\actshell.html if anyone has it could they leave a message and we can arrange to get it sent to me so i can activate my windows before it shuts me down!! thanks!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

reload xp so you can do a repair unless you don't have the key & hoping to somebody else's

3. bikekid8

bikekid8 Regular member

no i have the key and everything, but if i do a repair on windows, will all of my settings be gone, more importlantly, my directory of software thats already loaded??? becuz i no when you reinstall it it deletes the programs from the windows list, and they dont work?

4. bikekid8

bikekid8 Regular member

the actshell is the page that pops up that you enter your key into so i have no way of entering it right now

5. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

In the windows XP repair install you will not lose your settings or program functions. If the install disk is a SP 1 and you updated to SP 2 then SP 2 will be removed in the repair process. If the disk is SP 2 then dont worry about it, SP 2 will not be removed. Basically The repair install will restore windows to its Set up State without destroying your prgrams or changing all your settings.

So insert the windows XP cd. When booted hit Enter then F-8. There you will select the install to repair.

Good luck
    -Del