1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP cannot find DVD/CD drive

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ji63, Sep 7, 2006.

1. ji63

ji63 Member

I've upgraded Windows 2000 to Windows XP Professional. I've BENQ DW1620 DVD drive. I can boot other operating systems and bootable CDs with the drive. However, it doesn't exist in Windows XP. I've removed all burning software and virtual drive software but still nothing. I've spent 12 hours on this issue :-( I can't find any useful by searching the web nor MSDN knowledge base. I'd really appreciate if someone could help on this matter. I didn't want to do a clean install because of have a huge amount of software installed and it would take weeks to reinstall all of that, besides everything else seems to be OK in my system.

Edit:
    After 16 hours of head-banging with Windows XP upgrade I'm finally giving up and installing Windows XP from scratch. Let's spend the next two weeks installing and configuring applications in honour of Bill Gates the whizz kid who has brought so much happiness to us all.
    That f***ing genious.

Edit2:

DVD drive works in the clean installation of Windows XP, so this is clearly an upgrade failure that the upgraded system has lost the drive. I've about 350 applications in Program Files folder. It's going to take like forever if I have to reinstall everything.

Somebody help me, please. None of the usual tricks suggested, like removing UpperFilters and LowerFilters values from registry or uninstalling driver, are unable to bring back the DVD drive in the upgraded system.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  2. DoubleDwn

DoubleDwn Regular member

Have you tried to physically move it in the system? Say, from Primary IDE to Secondary? Worth a shot I guess.

Also, try removing the IDE controllers from Hardware Manager. When XP reboots, it wil find the controllers, reboot again and maybe pick up the CD drive.

~Rich

3. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

Hi there,
    I had a similar problem like that!
    The disk drives won't show in my computer, and in device manager they were marked with a yellow symbol.

But I fortunatley got my problem sorted, have you got a code 39 or 31 kind of error report any time?

That does'nt matter, you should read this it will tell you how to fix the problem, it also has an automatic guide which will fix the problem for you automaticaly.
    And the website is Mocrosoft, so no need to worry about malware spyware or junk site.

Here is the link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060

This is what my computer screen looked like back when I had this problem. Notice around the red circled area that there arent any disk drives even though they should be there
    [​IMG]

NOTE: I owe credit for this link to ddp, because he found it for me when I posted a thread with a similar problem to yours, Here is my thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/381295 You might want to take a look at it for a bit more assurance

Kind Regards, BluRay

PS, Tell me how it goes, good luck.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006