1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP firewall HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by CODO69, Mar 4, 2007.

1. CODO69

CODO69 Guest

I've done some searching and can't say that I have found any forum posts or blogs, etc... with my same problem. I can't get windows firewall to turn off. It says its off but other grams still say its turned on such as Lime wire or utorrent. If i go into control panel and go to the firwall settings it says off. But if I switch the view back to category view it says firewall is still turned on. So then when i go to change it, the windows pops up saying its off. WHAT THE H*LL is going on? I happened all of a sudden. The last thing i installed was Norton Anti virus 2007 for the 2 week trial, didn't care for it. I've also tried doing a system restore to an earlier date, but still no luck.

2. todd1989

todd1989 Member

I can't find anything relating to Windows Firewall Problems, but managed to find this thread, so tought i'd leave my windows firewall problem here too.

This may sound strange, but does every Windows PC have Windows Firewall? I Go Start>Conrtol Panel>... and tehres nothing there. I've been told that I should find Windows Firewall as it's own icon on Control Panel (Service Pack 2) Otherwise I should find Windows Security Center, and be able o access it from there. Neither is Windows Firewall or Windows Security Center in my Control Panel. I tried Group Policies also (not knowing if this would help) But still couldn't find Windows Firewall. I followed Run> typed in gpedit.msc and opened up group policies>Administrative Templates>Network>Networks Connections... Windows Firewall should be there. I've also tried adding it under Group Policies Management. I've searched my computer for Security Center and Windows Firewall. I just cant find it... I need to access it to allow a program access. I'm completely stumped, i thought every computer had Windows Firewall, and I hadn't noticed I didn't have it until I recently needed to use it... Any help is greatly appreicated. Todd

3. todd1989

todd1989 Member

4. ireland

ireland Active member

The following sections describe the settings for the new Windows Firewall.

On This Page
    Windows Firewall
    General Tab
    Exceptions Tab
    Advanced Tab
    For More Information

Windows Firewall
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) includes the new Windows Firewall, which replaces the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). Windows Firewall is a stateful host-based firewall that drops unsolicited incoming traffic that does not correspond to either traffic sent in response to a request of the computer (solicited traffic) or unsolicited traffic that has been specified as allowed (excepted traffic). Windows Firewall provides a level of protection from malicious users and programs that rely on unsolicited incoming traffic to attack computers on a network.

In Windows XP SP2, there are many new features for Windows Firewall, including the following:

• Enabled by default for all the connections of the computer

• New global configuration options that apply to all connections

• New set of dialog boxes for local configuration

• New operating mode

• Startup security

• Excepted traffic can be specified by scope

• Excepted traffic can be specified by application filename

• Built-in support for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) traffic

• New configuration options with Netsh and Group Policy

For more information about these changes, see New Networking Features in Windows XP Service Pack 2, the January 2004 Cable Guy article.

This article describes in detail the set of dialog boxes to manually configure the new Windows Firewall. Unlike ICF in Windows XP with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows XP with no service packs installed, the configuration dialog boxes configure both IPv4 and IPv6 traffic.

The settings for ICF in Windows XP with SP1 and Windows XP with no service packs installed consist of a single checkbox (the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box on the Advanced tab of the properties of a connection) and a Settings button from which you can configure excepted traffic, logging settings, and allowed ICMP traffic.

In Windows XP SP2, the check box on the Advanced tab of the properties of a connection has been replaced with a Settings button from which you can configure general settings, permissions for programs and services, connection-specific settings, log settings, and allowed ICMP traffic. The Settings button launches the new Windows Firewall Control Panel applet, which is also available from the Network and Internet Connections and Security Center categories of Control Panel.

The new Windows Firewall dialog box contains the following tabs:

• General

• Exceptions

• Advanced

Top of page
    General Tab
    The General tab with its default settings is shown in the following figure.

YE MUST GO HERE TO READ THE REST,IT WILL SHOW YE ALL ABOUT THE XP-SP-2 FIREWALL

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  5. todd1989

todd1989 Member

I've managed to work out that I need settings for the old windows firewall, ICF... I think I have Service Pack 1 so don't have the new Windows Firewall... How do I configure my firewall? Thanks