1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP Limitations??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by joed317, Jan 1, 2005.

1. joed317

joed317 Member

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 with a Liteon DVD player LTD 163, a CD-RW NEC NR780 and a Liteon DVD+/-RW LDW 411S. I can play DVDs on the LTD 163, I have a fully functioning NR780 and I can only see Data and Audio CDs on the 411S. Do I have what I need in my system to decode DVDs because I can watch movies when the disks are in the 163? Is there a way I need to assign a decoder to the 411? Is ther a limitation in Windows XP Pro that I can't have this configuration and expect it to work. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joe D.

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

joed317, when you insert a movie, watch it and then remove it, does your drive refresh?? i only ask because on both xp home and pro of mine with 2 burners it was a pain trying to get a new movie recongized

3. joed317

joed317 Member

deadcat:
    I can't get any movie to play in my DVD+/-RW drive. I can't even see the contents of the disk. I think I am going to try to change the Master/Slave config of my system and see how that works. Any sugeestions?
    Thanks,Joe D.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

When you have 2 drives made by the same company(Liteon}, they will sometimes conflict with each other if on the same IDE Channel. I would try the liteon dvd player as SLAVE to your HD. Then make the Liteon dvd burner as MASTER on the second IDE Channel and the Nec CDRW as SLAVE to that burner on the secondary IDE. This may help clear up your problems but this is a guess.

Jerry

5. joed317

joed317 Member

Thanks for the help. I will try that. Thanks, Joe D.

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Are you using windows media player to watch you dvds?
    It is probably the worst out there. Have you tried windvd or power dvd to watch you movies?
    Not sure if that is much help!
    Pulsar

7. joed317

joed317 Member

I think one of the problems has been solved. I can now view the DVD movies and listen to audio cds with the drive, which by the way has been changed to a an ATAPI DVD+RW. I am unable to backup a Movie DVD because of protection. What can I try before I buy to get around the protection and backup a movie DVD??
    Thanks,
    Joe D.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello joe d: so you want to back up some dvd's.

You need a program that rips and reduces those dvds to fit on a single 4.5 gig disc.Or on a dual layer disc?

Dvd shrink and dvd decrypter can do this, they pull off the encryption"copyright,guard,etc". Dvd shrink compresses the movie to fit to stand dvd-5 disc or dvd-9 dual layer.

Both programs are free here at AD.

Besides being a more powerful ripper, dvd decrypter also has a burn engine.

With dvd shrink, you can get rid of some or all the bonus stuff,foreign languages,and subtitles to help the compression. On higher compressed movie backups,it even has extra enhancements that make that backup look pretty close to the original.3 hour movie on 1 standard 4.7 gb disc,no problem.

If you happen to have nero : version 6.0 or higher, Nero works very good with dvd shrink. Those are the main 2 programs I use. 30 day trial of nero free also here.You can buy it on ebay for under $10.00 with s&h.

Windvd is also a great player, got it for my dad for $8.00 including s&h at ebay-windvd4.

There are some great guides here at AD, just look in the guides tab,and also different guides throughout the forums.

Double check your settings which ever programs you decide,Use Quality media, burn slow,no multi-tasking, and use the guides. Any other questions after that,just come on back. Good Luck