1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows XP MCE vs XP home??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by HRJustin, May 13, 2007.

1. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

im just wondering what would be better to get i dont really need XP pro and ive only ever used xp home but the stuff i like to do seems like it would be cooloer on MCE. im just wondering if the media center edition of XP is worth getting or not. i thought about getting a tv turner card so i can use MCE as a PVR and have a guide and all that good stuff on it. i already have a dvr through our cable company in the living room but i thought if i could get the same thing on my computer i could burn tv shows and stuff to dvds or something. ive only ever use xp home and its done everything ive needed so ill get either that or MCE i dont want vista yet.

i would appreciate any input on if MCE is worth getting or not and if its fairly stable because i want to use it as a regular pc also.

2. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I have XP MCE and I like it. It runs just like XP home, the only difference is MCE has an icon that says Media Center. It's just a program that you can use to play DVDs, watch and record live TV, and manage all of your digital media. There are other programs just like this and I'm pretty sure if you get a TV tunner, it should come with some DVR software.

3. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

yea ive only ever used home since it came with this computer when i bought it. im in the process of building a new computer because this one cant be upgraded and it doesnt even have usb 2.0. i think i might go with MCE its not to much more money and i dont think i need the stuff that XP pro has. if anyone else can post about MCE id like to know if its unstable or anything else thats wrong with it. im going to be using it as a everyday computer so i want it to be stable and run for a while at a time.

4. elokito

elokito Regular member

i have it on my sony vaio its all good but to really take advantage of the channels it has u need a good internet connection to stream it, if ure not going to watch the online channels then this prob wont affect u but if u will i would recommend an internet conec of 2mb or higher

5. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

yea i got 5meg cable internet through charter cable so that shouldnt be a problem. it seems like it would be alot better then xp home and its not much more money so i think thats what im going to get. im just worried about the 3-disk installation.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

I have XP Pro on my PC and WMC on my Laptop. Really, other than the media functions, which i never use anyway, they are pretty much the same. So if you plan to use the media then go for MCE. If not i would get XP Pro over XP Home. But XP has plenty of media programs that can pretty much do anything MCE can anyway.