1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP not recognising third hard drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jembejam, Oct 2, 2004.

1. jembejam

jembejam Member

Hello. I have a problem. I have 3 HD's. 20GB=O/S, 60GB=program files, 200GB=Audio & Video. I formatted XP on the 20GB.

This is where I need some help. All drives are recognised in the BIOS. All drives are recognised in "Device Manager" However; the 200GB drive, does not show up in Windows Exlplorer.

Formatting the 200GB drive is not an option for me since there is some very important data on it.

Can anyone provide some feedback or ideas to help me solve my dilemma?

Thanks.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

LoL :) yes, I have a 160GB SATA drive where formatting it is NOT an option...
    But you don't need to!
    WinNT (ie. Win2K, WinXP) requires any NTFS volume be given a 'signature' to be welcomed and warmly embraced by the OS.
    If the drive is detected in BIOS and Device Manager, you must fire up the Disk Management snap-in, which may be found under Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
    Maximize the Disk Manager to fullscreen, and all your drives should be there - even the one you cannot see under Explorer.
    Welcome it (and its precious videos) from there!
    Regards