1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows xp problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by stevie123, Nov 18, 2004.

1. stevie123

stevie123 Member

hope u can help. i have just installed windows xp professional(i had millenium edition previously)and now i have problems with my dvd burner(it will only burn at about 12% of its usual speed)hence a disc takes about 1hr50 to copy as opposed to 25/30 mins previously.my computer also works erratically when im burning.i tried changing from nero to easy media creator 7,with the same results(average write speed 0.5% as opposed to 4x as it should be.i had no problems when using millennium.please help>

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Do you have DMA enabled for all your drives?
    Adder.

3. stevie123

stevie123 Member

well it was enabled when i installed it,could installing xp have affected the settings? how do i check?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hi stevie123, upgrading from ME to xp pro possibly messed something up. Do you have service package 1 or 2? I have xp home and to check my dma settings i go to control panel,system check,advanced,hardware,device manager, ide ata atapi controls, there i find my primary and seconday,open primary first, mine is set ultra dma mode 5, and change if you have pio set, then go to secondary if applicable, ,advance setting, mine say ultra dma mode 2. You should also list your pc specs: processor,speed,ram, hard drive size and space available, your burning,ripping,playing software, and most of all your media. Lots of people here in the forums will help you out. Later

5. stevie123

stevie123 Member

ok,here goes....tried the dma option,they all seem to be set ok.i have amd duron processor,224 mb of ram,i have 28.6 gb hard drive,with only 2.57 gb free space at the mo.(working on it!!)i am using windows xp pro recently updated to SP2 . i am using easy media creator pro, but have tried nero 6.6 with the same results.is there any way i can check if my dvd and cd drives are working properly?any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey stevie123, looks like harddrive space may be screwing you up. Try to get rid of everything you don't need and run a de-frag.Sp2 could also be giving you a problem also, Also, make sure you have no roxio software on your pc. roxio does not get along with nero and dvd shrink "which is all i use". I am not sure on checking the pc operating drives correctly. I use a software called registry mechanic which fixes my little problems. Good luck stevie

7. stevie123

stevie123 Member

ill try your suggestions,thanks for taking the time to help me.

8. colw

colw Active member

Free harddrive space appears to be your major problem.

For successful ripping, encoding and burning a minimum of 8 to 10GB free space is recommended.

9. stevie123

stevie123 Member

i have now freed up 9gbs on my hard drive,this has improved my burning speed, but i am still only burning at 1.5x as opposed to 4x. any other things i could try?

10. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

Steve123,

You upgraded from WinME to WinXP. WinME can run nicely with 224 Mbs of RAM, however, you are really pushing the limit trying to rum WinXP with only 224 Mbs of memory. XP requires considerably more resources than ME.

My guess is that XP is swapping memory out to your Hard Drive (paged menmory) with your limited amount of physical memory when you have any applications open. You may just have to add more RAM to burn faster.

11. deepesh

deepesh Guest

Try All These:
    1). Clean your PC from junkfiles.
    2). Get the latest Nero XP update, (uninstall Old and Reinstall).
    3). Get SP2 if not already.