1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP running VERY SLOW

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by mzrani, Jan 22, 2007.

1. mzrani

mzrani Member

Hello,

Over the weekend, I encountered a problem on Windows (I have Windows XP Home edition, AMD cpu, 1G ram, 120G hard drive).

I was browsing the internet (Microsoft Internet Explorer) while running uTorrent and all of a sudden, the computer did a shut-down and on a black screen popped up a message referring to a "kernel." I restarted the computer and the system failed to boot so it asked for the boot disc. I manually shut the computer off and turned it back on. I was able to get Windows up after I did a "last good configuration."

However, when I log on, it takes almost forever. The same when I'm in and trying to open up applications or do anything.

I've open up the Task Manager and I've deleted some processes that I don't need (like ipodupdater.exe, etc)

I've ran msconfig and unchecked the 'startup items' and still the results are the same.

And I've used safe-mode to clean any cookies or potential threats using Ewido Security since McAfee won't operate in safe-mode and it takes forever to do a scan in McAfee in normal mode (about 60 files/hour).

Before this, the computer ran smoothly and fast.

If anyone can tell me what's going on and how I can fix this, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!!!

Note: I have McAfee Security (Firewall, Privacy, antiVirus) installed.

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Completely remove McAfee from the system. Reboot.

Download and run a program called RegSeeker. Just unzip it to a folder and execute. In RegSeeker, you'll find a section to search the registry...check all boxes, and type in McAfee in the search bar. Remove all entries found.

Reboot.

3. mzrani

mzrani Member

Should I re-install McAfee after the clean? I use McAfee as a security measure. If not, what security application would be recommended?

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Even though hardware firewalls (routers) are a must these days even if you only have one computer, I never recommend anyone to not use a software based one.

But...recently, McAfee has lost ground on reliability. Most of your hard core information sites and magazines have all listed McAfee as the worst of the bunch which is why I recommended you to uninstall the applications.

Good firewalls:
    Sygate
    Zone Alarm
    BlackIce

and if you Google "free firewall software" you'll get a good list of some rather decent firewalls for free.

Antivirus:
    AVG Free Edition (sometimes hard to find at their site, but Google will lead you right to the link)
    NOD32
    Avast

Also, keep in mind that a good majority of issues that come with security applications, come when they are installed as a suite...least, that's what I've seen from experience...so experience from others will vary. It's also a good way to test each application in their own right, as some suites you cannot uninstall unless you do so one app at a time before finally uninstalling the suite's manager app. (Symantec for example)

5. mzrani

mzrani Member

thanks Morph416, I'll uninstall McAfee and try something else. My co-worker recommended Trend Micro.

6. mzrani

mzrani Member

After wiping McAfee clean off of my drive, Windows worked perfectly again! Woohoo!!!

Thank you Morph416. :)

7. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

My pleasure.

If you're an avid uTorrent user, please don't forget to get a really good AV app to keep any virus from wiping out your system.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007