1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Xp Shutdown problems

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Pauljb, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Pauljb

Pauljb Guest

Hi,

i was recently working on a computer with windows xp that my auntie got, she wanted me to fix a few things, tho there is one thing i cant solve, its not really a big problem but its when windows xp pro shutsdown, instead of turning its self off it brings up a screen saying its ok to shutdown and then you have to press the power button, is there anyway i can get it to turn off on its own?

Thanks

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

It's covered in the Microsoft Knowledge base, and the solution may work, it did for me. I hope your relative has got all the up to date Service Packs and security patches.

"It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" error message when you try to shut down your computer

SYMPTOMS
    When you try to shut down your Microsoft Windows XP-based or Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer, the computer may stop responding, and you may receive the following message:

It is now safe to turn off your computer

CAUSE

This behavior may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

• Your computer supports the Advanced Power Management (APM) feature, but the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACP)-compliant basic input/output system (BIOS) is not configured correctly to permit the operating system to turn off the power supply.

• During an upgrade of the operating system, Windows does not detect that the computer is ACPI-compliant.

• An OEM device driver or service is installed on your computer that is preventing the computer from correctly shutting down.

• Your computer is not ACPI-compliant.

I think the steps to take are too long to quote here, but the link is

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810903

There is also a Registry hack but I strongly suggest you don't monkey with the Registry unless you REALLY know what you are doing, you could kill her Windows installation.

If your computer does not turn off the power when doing a shutdown,
    you may need to edit the registry after doing all the correct BIOS and Power settings.

1. Start Regedit
    2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    3. Edit the key PowerOffActive and give it a value of 1
    4. You can do the same in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

Or you can download the reg file and then double click on it which is safer:-

(THIS IS AFTER YOU DID THE KNOWLEDGE BASE FIXES FIRST!!!)

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/power_down.reg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  3. Pauljb

Pauljb Guest

ok cheers. will give that ago, will get back up at the end of the week, cheers man.