1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP SP2 necessary?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kevling51, Jan 3, 2005.

1. kevling51

kevling51 Member

Now...it's been a few months since sp 2 came out and i installed it at first, unkowningly because of the windows auto update, but after a week, i uninstalled it because it ate up too much on my c drive. now, i am wondering, with the new emergence of pc unfriendly apps like viruses and trojans and such, are sp1 users such as i at risk even though i have norton antivirus 2005 and personal firewall? or do i now have to change it to sp 2 now like some of us?

thanks

- a disgruntled windows user

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

viruses & that have been out before sp2 & even sp1 & did that stop it, no if anything xp got thumped worse than peceeding windows versions. if no problems, software or hardware than go ahead or wait for patches come out

3. kevling51

kevling51 Member

thanks ddp real help!
    i think ill follow your advice and just stick with sp 1.
    or maybe ill go out and buy windows xp professional upgrade
    it'll prolly be a better investment until at least longhorn comes out in 2006.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I never installed SP2 either. Microsoft is always a day late and a dollar short when it comes to security so I saw no point in messing with my otherwise stable Windows installation.

5. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

yes agreeded.....

i'm running a HP computer, had many thoughts about it...
    heard a lot of people's complaints about it.....
    keep putting it of beause, didn't think i needed it...
    well, finally called HP support, said you don't need it
    it's just like Microsoft auto updates, most of those
    updates aren't needed aswell

if it's not broke don't fix it................

good day.....
    freedom

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I won't break my computer, because I won't be installing SP2 anytime soon. :)

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I have SP2 installed on 3 HDs on 2 PCs. It has given me no probs, but I have disabled the auto update on them all though. My 4th HD has SP1 only, again no probs.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  8. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

Yeah i have SP2 too, i had to do a little tweaking to get it the way i want it, but all in all i haven't had any of the problems that some people have had with it. I'm lucky.

9. Xian

Xian Regular member

I have it installed on mine, wifes, and kids pcs, no problems. As with any major update, make a system restore point or a ghost image before doing it so you can roll back any changes if it comes to that.

I went ahead and did it because sooner or later they will force you to update. They will stop support on anything less than a certain patch level so there won't be any updates unless u have the previous ones. For example, SP2 on Windows NT was terrible, but eventually they required you to have SP3 in order to get other updates or security fixes.

10. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

I have Win XP SP2 on all my pc they all work fine (note: Auto up date is disabled on all pc),also installed AutoPatcher XP (Jan2005) on all pc and they are running better than they did before it's a hell of a tweeking program and worth a look.

11. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Well my HP Pavillion came with SP2, and it works great. I have no problems with it. But no, it's not necessary. The only thing I can see great about it is the addition of Windows Firewall.

12. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

I have used XP SP2 on many machines - when you load it on sometimes it works fine and on others it crashes - never actually worked out why. I always ghost the machine prior to upgrade so that I can put it back.

If SP2 loads OK then it is fine afterwards. I note that Windows Media Player 10 requires SP2.

I have windows 2003 server running on my server and I have not been able to load SP1 for Win 2003 - it autoloads Win Media Player 10 and just gets memory General Protection Errors and Windows Explorer falls over. I even tried it on the clean build no software loaded (Ghost Image) with no domains or anything and it still falls over ! Also the Turkish update - though who cares - I suppose Turks, for Office 2003 will not load whatever I do.

I wish they would thoroughly test releases before sending them out there.

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

SP2 on this machine, my other two PC's and my wife's Laptop, all without any problems. <G>

Edit: SP2 actually seemed to correct a little glitch I had with SP1 on my oldest machine as far as having an extremely slow boot up time.