1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP start up error

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by grantr, Feb 7, 2007.

1. grantr

grantr Member

For the last few days I have been getting a box pop up whenever I log on..the box title says Windows-Registry Recovery and in the box says
    "One of the files containing the systems registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternative copy. The recovery was successful"
    I have to press OK about 4 times to get rid of the message every time I log on. Does anyone know what it means and how I can get rid of it?
    Thanks.

2. onya

onya Guest

It seems that a registry key is corrupt or missing. Using a registry cleaner such as Crap cleaner (in Issue mode) will attempt to fix such errors. Failing that, try using the system event viewer, to track down the source of the error message.
    Go to controlpanel, choose Performance and maintenance, then Administrative tools, then double click on the Event viewer shortcut.

Choose System, then look for the event that caused the error to be generated. Once you've identified the culprit, perhaps you can web search for info on it. Maybe an uninstall and reinstall of the application will fix the registry error.

Once fixed, take a backup of your registry files, keep them off the pc, and somewhere safe. Good luck.

Cheers.

EDIT: typo's

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2007
  3. DoubleDwn

DoubleDwn Regular member

It sounds more like one of the hives is corrupt, not just a key or two. If it is a corrupt hive, you may never get the machine running properly again (especially if it is the software hive) even if you restore from a known good backup.

This link may help. I know you can boot XP, but this may help anyway.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/

If it doesnt, I would backup all important data (which you should be doing anyway) and reinstall the OS.

~Rich