1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP to TV out has moving lines on the tv

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by xmrkite, Mar 12, 2012.

1. xmrkite

xmrkite Member

Hello, I have a windows xp computer with a 32mb ati agp video card and I am using composite out to hook it up to my tv. The issue is that it is really hard on the eyes, even at 640x480. The screen is pretty clear, but text in particular has a funny squigle that comes and moves, and is very apparent on white areas of the screen even when it's not text.

It looks like little waves moving and moving. The tv itself is totally fine when I hook up a dvd player to it, so I know it's not the tv. This is a 27" crt/tube type tv. I have tried both inputs on the tv and it's the same. I have also played around with all the picture, brightness, contrast, color, etc settings on the tv but to no avail.

-Thanks for any help

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try a different video as you just showed it is not the tv that is causing the problem. what connections does the tv have? why are you using a video card & not a tv capture card?

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

ddp...member appears to be attempting to use tv as a monitor

I'd be surprised if member could get a colour picture thru rca i certainly couldn't & my card was "tv compatible" i had to use s-video port or stick with b&w picture

personally i'd switch to s-video & also look at the card to see if it's grunty enough or even meant to be used with a tv,remember this is a tv not a monitor

edit: it's not possible to get an unfuzzy desktop i.e icons & icon text as well as taskbar will always appear blurry on a crt tv that's used as a monitor,your windows & computer media players will be clear & ok

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  4. xmrkite

xmrkite Member

Ok, this is for video game playing and it's really low res stuff. Most of the games are 320x240 or so. I know a good amount about computers and realize that regular computer text will be fuzzy due to the low number of lines, but my computer should look as good as a dvd when both use the rca plug on the tv.

I will try to use another video card and see if I get better results. As for black and white...I've used rca with several tv's and computers in the past, so this is no different. If the video card has an rca jack on it, then it is designed to be used with a tv. I also have the proper ati software installed into win xp, and it's set to tv mode.

I will try a new card and post back in a day or so.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

try different set of rca cords first possibly shorter as well

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  6. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

try different refresh rates