1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winhiip trying to format 2 tb SATA multitude of issues.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mer2329, Jun 11, 2017.

?

how many drives did you try on your PS2, before you found one that worked?

1. 1

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. more than 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mer2329

mer2329 Member

Edit: I solved this myself.

okay let me begin by saying hello and introducing myself then explain what my setup is before i get into my issues and what i tried.

hello, i am known as mer2329, if i could change my username i would change it to Overlord_Laharl.
    i have used many tools to hack many sony systems. i am not a developer.
    i have hacked my ps2 slim, PSP phat (using GTA: LCS, eventually i used a pandora mod to dual boot multiple different firmwares), my PSP lite (using the soft mod apps) my PS3 using a teensy++ 2.0) and my psvita (and vita tv) using henkaku, then i added adrenaline.
    i also am a fan of cyanogen mod (and its derivative roms like resurection remix) and have added it to 2 LG g4's and my samsung galaxy tab 3 (original not the slim variant) all on tmobile
    i am a big fan of viper4android. and consider myself a budding audiophile.

now onto my setups
    my previous setup was a slim ps2 booting with FMCB. i never really used FMCB much so im still a n00b.

my current setup a
    system: Fat PS2 (model: SCPH-39001)
    accessories:
    a genuine sony memory card for FCMB (it came form my slim ps2)
    a memor32 memory card for my saves
    a gamestar "network adapter" with a sata sonnecter. (it has no network port but the solder pads are there for a SMD ethernet connecter.
    a brand new Toshiba p300 2 TB drive (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822149632)
    a random USB drive to add things to FMCB

now my issues.
    when i use winhiip, my drive is directly attached to my computer using my internal SATA cabling.
    the drive is detected as having negative GB (i dont know the exact count because im trying to format using HDloader on my PS2 right now)
    im only offered HD loader 28bit in the format window.
    (i have 1, 1TB drive that offers me the 48 bit hd loader but thats my c drive).

now my attempts.
    i tried to go through the format process. (it went at about 60 mb/s). and i got a bunch of errors and couldn't select a drive. i wasnt running it as a admin.
    at this point i set it to run as a run as a administrator by the compatibility settings so it will always run in administrator mode from now on.
    now i reopen winhiip and select my drive (at this point its fresh from the box) and i go to format it leaving all settigns as default. and get a bunch of other errors. things like not enough space and about 5 others i dont remember.
    so at this point i try and change my settings, i set full format, application is HDloader 28bit (i was only offered this and toxic OS, but im on FMCB so toxic os wont work for me.) and run the format again and wouldnt even start.
    at this point i figure i might as well as initilize it on my computer,
    i did this and tried again.
    same results.
    now i format it it into ntfs and try again,
    error not enough space.
    next i delete the NTFS particion and try again.
    progress, it starts the format and runs at about 30 mb/s i run it all night. and it failed @ 100%
    so i change my SATA cable and try again. its more of the same, -GB, and it fails at 100%
    at this point i added HD loader 0.8c on my FMCB setup, and added the drive to the PS2 and decided i would try and format it with HDL
    so i start up HDL and no suprise it was detected as a non formatted drive.
    so i let HDL do its thing and...
    fairly quickly i get "fatal error: failed to format HDD"

what im going to try next.
    im going to image my c drive to the 2 tb drive and restore my windows bootloader, then i am going to try and formay the 1 tb drive for my PS2 using winhiip (winhiip detects this drive with the proper capacity and offers me HDL 48bit for this drive. so hopefully it will work)

TL;DR: i tried all i could think of to get this drive working but all i am given is errors.

so my question is this drive not compatible or am i just missing something.

Edit: this is solved. The 1 TB drive i mentioned in my post is working well. With opl and Winhiip.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

I have always only used IDE hard drives with Winhiip and the largest being 400GB. I am wondering if you used a Sata to IDE adapter, then it might work.

Here is a list of compatible hard drives

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list

Okay further reading people do use SATA drives with Winhiip

Try formatting the hard drive with either ule or HDLOADER 0.8C (48-bit) - format drive in PS2

When you connect to Winhiip , choose 48-bit option, and you may have to Press Utilities button and Scan/Repair PS2 Drive

Then try adding images

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  3. mer2329

mer2329 Member

The gamestar adapter comes with sata,
    https://m.dhgate.com/product/high-quality-sata-network-adapter-for-ps2/397357420.html#pd-108

I got the 1 TB drive working. (took me a day because I cant boot from a 2 TB drive (my computer is a bios system not uefi, so I can't boot from gpt drives) so I had to do the image shuffle (image my 1.5 TB drive (d) to the 2 TB drive, then image my 1 TB drive to the 1.5 TB drive and ensure it booted. Then format the 1 TB drive in Winhiip.)

I would have posted here but I couldn't find this thread in my history. And I post on so many forums that I couldn't remember which one I asked on.

Also the compatability lists are generally out of date because of hardware revisions hdd Manufacterers make. Plus they also give the drives new upcs and model numbers (i mean the full model number that includes the revision code) so stores can put the old one on sale.

The 1 TB drive is working great for me because im using opl instead of hdl now. (and opl has a 1 TB limit) i also won't be putting tons of games on it. Just a bunch of my rpgs from my collection (ripped myself)

4. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

That's great you got it working.
    Actually with Winhiip, it doesn't matter if your computer is only BIOS, as drive never needs to be configured by the computer. I was only suggesting hdloader to format the hdd, then use Winhiip.

OPL is much better and much newer than hddloader .

Yeah I wasn't sure if people still updated the list or not. I fit a lot of games on a 400gb IDE hard drive.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  6. mer2329

mer2329 Member

no my 2 TB on bios issue was because I was trying to replace my current 1 TB c drive with the 2 tb one. Completely forgetting the bios/gpt issue, and must of formatted the drive as gpt. (for those with little knowledge on large capacity HDDs A bios can't boot from gpt formatted disc. Uefi can, drives larger than 2 TB must use gpt).
    My computer had 2 drives and I have all my spare drives in my nas and media center.
    So my computer drives were a 1 TB drive on C and a 1.5 TB drive on D.
    Because i didnt have any reasonable boot media i needed to image my drives multiple times to shuffle the data
    My new. 2.tb drive will be called a.
    My 1.5 TB drive will be called b (was mounted to D)
    My 1 TB drive will be called C (it was mounted to C)
    I had to a move the data on B to A.
    Then move c to b.
    Make sure the drives boot.
    Then I had to add c back into my computer and format with winhiip and transfer my games.
    My final setup is
    My 1. 5 TB drive mounted to C (and booting)
    My 1.tb drive mounted to d (the BIOS Limitation only applies to boot drives, so it dosent matter that this is a 2 TB drive as mounting is handled by OS (windows 10))
    And my 1 TB drive in my PS2
    This actually works better for me because I currently only plan on adding my ps2 collection of maybe 30 games. I may add emulators and popstation in the future.

I set up my VMLs with my memory card data. And I've been replaying radiata stories.

thanks. I actually saw that but at the time I didn't have a clue how to format with ulaunch.
    I eventually found out but I was already playing "musical drives"

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Sweet as.There are game iso's there to download if you didn't see the download tab whether ps1 or ps2 etc

8. mer2329

mer2329 Member

Thanks, for the tip.

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Not all games can be got,the policy below:

theisozone.com has a strict policy where content has to meet such criteria as:

• No direct hosting of downloadable content
    • No links to titles of systems in current production, or ceased production for at least 3 generations
    • No links to titles of current active copyrighted works; maintain a collection of titles where the publishers and/or developers have ceased trading, collapsed, and/or relinquished copyrights
    • No links to titles of current active trademarked brands (See list below)
    • By meeting the above criteria, there is absolutely no way any damages or losses could incur to any publishers, individuals or companies involved with the original creation and distribution of the content as the content is no longer in production, supported, available for purchase, or compatible with any modern platform(s) on sale and in production

10. mer2329

mer2329 Member

It really dosent matter because I ripped my collection and put that on.
    Plus I'm a mamber of animebytes.tv so anything else I want is on there.