1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winhiip won't read my PS2 HDD! Help!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by LufianGuy, Jan 12, 2007.

1. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I want to have the ultimate PS2 Mod. I used to think the ultimate PS2 mod was a 200GB HDD PS2 with a network adapter, HD Advance, and a mod chip.

From what I have been told, the Ultimate PS2 mod is a 300GB HDD PS2 with a network adapter and a DMS4 Pro S.E. mod chip.

Is there any better mod out there?

I ALSO HAVE QUESTIONS FROM MY CLOSED THREAD (bad title):

1. What is the biggest HDD size the DMS4 Pro S.E. can handle?

2. Do all HDD's work with the DMS4 Pro S.E.?

3. Is there a guide that tells you how to use all the features of the DMS4 Pro S.E.?

4. Is the user interface of the DMS4 Pro S.E. easy to handle for people that aren't really technical savvy?

5. How does booting games from the HDD work?

6. How do you put the games onto the HDD?

7. Can the modchip in my current PS2 be replaced with the DMS4 Pro S.E.?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  2. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

The ultimate mod would be a 500gb HDD with DMS4 PRO S.E, a custom case and maybe some flash lighting.

1. I think the PS2 (with any program) can handle up to 1000gb(1tb), as HDloader can DMS4's toxic OS should be able to as well.

2. MOST HDD's work with PS2, some Western Digitals dont physically fit into the PS2 though search http://ps2drives.x-pec.com for your drive.

3. DMS no doubt have loads of info on how to use all the features of their chip, if not some third party will have written a guide.

4. Not sure dont have DMS4.

5. Pass.

6. Basiclally just load up ToxicOS's hdloader and click the install button with the game disc inserted, 20min later it will be done. Or you can hook up their HDD as a Slave drive in your computer and use a program called WINHIIP to install games.

7. Yes.

3. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Okay, some more questions just to make sure.

1. So it is safe (it won't damage the system, I find this hard to believe but hope it is true) to take an installed mod chip off your PS2 and install another one?

2. I am worried about how much of the HDD a DMS 4 Pro SE will read. Supposedly it has a built in HD Loader (to my knowledge, HD Loader will only recognize 120GB of the installed HDD and HD Advance can read up to 200GB). I want the most GBs I can get to load that HDD full of goodness!

Steimy I need your help here since you have this stuff and know how it works.

Has anyone ever sent in their chipmodded PS2 to a modding place and had another mod chip installed and their other one removed before (did they give you some kind of trade in credit for the older mod chip)?

4. magus57

magus57 Regular member

1. It depends; if you do it professionaly, then it should be safe, but if you try doing it yourself w/o experience, you could screw up your PS2 to the point that either it will stop working or you won't be able to install another chip again. Also, you probably won't get anything for you old chip, because I think most chips are one-time use.

2. There is NO difference between HDAdvance and HDLoader, HDAdvance is a retail version (for suckers) of HDLoader, and HDLoader is completely free and is updated often for games that don't work. The lastest versions of HDLoader support drives of up to 2TB's (theoretically), but of course, drives of those size are insanely expensive, and maybe not even in production. However, for DMS4, you get ToxicLoader, which is almost exactly the same as HDLoader and has just about the same compatibility and options.

Here's a link to games compatible/uncompatible/patchable/etc. for ToxicOS:

http://list.ps2hd.com/

As for the hard drive, remember that 300GB isn't really 300GB, you'll only get 90-95% of the actual space, which isn't much of a difference. If you're going all out, though, I'd suggest getting a 500GB, because it's probably only a $20-$30 upgrade from the 300GB, and then you have more space for homebrew, emulators, games, saves (not loading, just storing), etc. And if you want to calculate the amount of games a hard drive can hold, just divide it by 4 and you'll get an approximate number (since some games are bigger and smaller than 4GBs).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  5. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

6. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

So you are saying that a PS2 can have a 2000GB HDD and HD Loader will recognize and use all 2000GB of the HDD?

7. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

If such a thing existed, yes it could use all of 2TB. But Seagate are just now boasting that they've got the first 1TB HDD's, and I think Hitachi or something are trying to beat them to the market with one of their own.

8. magus57

magus57 Regular member

And either way, 1TB isn't even worth it, because that means you'd have well over 250 games. Right now, I have a 160GB hard drive (which holds 20-30 games since I have a lot of other stuff on it), and I only keep the games I'm currently playing. When I'm finished with them, I delete them, so I have more room for new games. I might buy a 400 or 500GB hard drive soon (because my collection is getting close to 100 games), but only if I can find one that works, that is cheap, and also if I can sell my 160GB for a good price ($30-$50).

9. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

So the Toxicloader can read up to HDD Sizes of 2000GB also?

As already said, I want the hook up that will give me the biggest HDD possible, it seems the best option for me would be a 500GB HDD because I want to load it up and not have to reload games.

The problem is how can I check to know if the HDD will fit in the PS2 and work with HD Loader or Toxicloader?

10. steimy

steimy Active member

Not sure if you are talking about a DMS4 Pro mod chip when you say Toxicloader. But the HD Loader built into the ToxicOS that the chip uses will support large hard drives. Mine for example is 250GB but i have seen people use bigger one's
    500GB would probably be more space then you need unless you want every game you own on it, which will not be the case as every game you own may not run from the hard drive. There are some out there that will not. NO loader is 100% compatible with every game.
    I know Hotshots Golf Fore! and Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift will not.
    Actually F&F Tokyo Drift runs but will lock up at random points while you are playing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  11. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

What is built into the DMS4 Pro SE? HD Loader or Toxicloader?

Steimy maybe you can tell me what the insurance policy is at teammodders.com if they mess up because I asked and no response to that question.

Well it seems I'm going to buy a 300-500GB HDD off ebay (The biggest working HDD on the list for my PS2 is 400GB).
    My questions about this:

1. Do I want a HDD with ATA, PATA, SATA, OR USATA?

2. How do I know if it can connect by IDE?

3. The size of HDD's that fit in the PS2 is 3.5 inches right?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  12. magus57

magus57 Regular member

1. You want a Internal IDE ATA hard drive. Others don't work because they aren't compatible with the network adapter.

2. See above. Just about any IDE drive will work (except for Western Digitals, which are large and need network adapter modifications to fit/work).

3. Yes. 3.5 fits perfectly in the PS2.

As for the site I gave you with the hard drive compatibility, don't take everything exact. If a hard drive works on one PS2 version, it's more than likely to work on all PS2 versions, those are just the PS2 versions people tested the drives on. Maxtors are by far the cheapest, most effective, and most compatible hard drives.

And as for compatibility issues, those are very minor, and only affect a few games, because most of them (by now) have some kind of patch or setting that makes them work.

Another thing to know (IDK if you knew this already) is that you can't go online with games on the hard drive. There might be a few games that work, but many have to be DNAS-patched, and the games are usually so old that few people still play them online.

13. steimy

steimy Active member

you probably want to find a Maxtor hard drive. I have heard they work well with the PS2. Personally i hav w Western Digital but the above is correct. It is know to be hard to fit in or need an adapter.
    Mine was installed at Teammodders but they did tell me something about Western digital being a pain.

as far as insurance policy? They stand behind their work, if they screw it up which is highly unlikely since they do them all the time, then they would work it out with you. Most likely you would get another premodded console.

14. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Has anyone's PS2 HDD gone corrupt?

One of the people at teammodders wrote me and said HDD's higher than 400gb have a higher chance of going corrupt.

So maybe I should buy a 400GB HDD, but I can get a 500GB HDD cheaper right now, so it makes sense to get the 500GB HDD.

15. steimy

steimy Active member

well, there is always a chance it can go corrupt
    But 400GB should be plenty of room.
    I only have a 250GB in mine and there are plenty of games on it.

16. Retro_rc

Retro_rc Regular member

Ok LafianGuy
    i think its about time u start taking a serious move

1) what did u buy or install now

2) show us what ur about to buy so we can help u with the links and tell u if u made a wise choice

17. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I'm going to have my Duo 2 chip taken out and replaced with a DMS4 Pro SE.

I'm going to buy a Maxtor Internal ATA IDE HDD (in a size range of about 320-500GB I'd say).

And I'm going to let teammodders.com handle the rest.

18. steimy

steimy Active member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822140166R
    there is one on the compatibility chart that worked with both HD Advance and the DMS4 Pro
    Just for a refernce. And 300GB should do nicely. Figure it this way.
    If every game you put on it was 4GB, which they will not all be that big, then you could get about 70-75 games on the hard drive pretty easily.

19. magus57

magus57 Regular member

I've never heard of a hard drive actually going corrupt. I guess it happened to people who turned off their system while the PS2 was editing the HD (like adding or renaming a game). You should'nt be too woried about something like that happening.

Another thing to note, it takes 20-30 minutes for the PS2 to install a game to the hard drive, and just a little less if going from DVD to external hard drive, and then even less if going from DVD to internal hard drive (so if you open up your computer often, you may want to do this instead of install by PS2). If you already have the .iso of the game on the computer, then it takes about 5 minutes.

20. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Can putting or running a bad iso on your PS2 HDD corrupt or hurt the system (PS2, HDD, Computer)?