1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinMX searches but doesn't connect to peers - help!!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by ashroy01, Mar 10, 2005.

1. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

Hi,

I'm a long-time fan of Winmx. I tried using Limewire but am disgusted with all the memory it uses up. I think it's pretty safe for me to say that WinMX is the only program of it's kind that uses system resources sparingly AND installs without ad/spy-ware. A few weeks ago it went haywire.

When I start, as normal, I connect fine to the server and I can search as well. The difference is is when I try to download it seems to recognize peers but never connects to them, the DL info line is yellow (not sure what this means but I don't recall seeing it before.) I've tried reinstalling but no luck. Is anyone familiar with this? any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  2. dude845

dude845 Regular member

have you installed a router or a firewall this maybe the
    cause

3. dude845

dude845 Regular member

have you installed a router or a firewall this maybe the
    cause

4. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

Thanks for responding. Only a firewall. I gave WinMX full access to connect and serve. It does connect on the main screen where you need to wait for the green light -- that part works. Please Help!

I checked WinMX settings under appearances to find what the colors meant. The yellow means "pending text" -- this is how the download initially looks. A minute later it usually turns red which means "stopping text". I've never gotten the yellow before.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  5. dude845

dude845 Regular member

dear person fisrt thing is when winmx stoped working did you install another program before and thenwhen you tried winmx it stoped working, and if so try removing it and check again. or maybe you changed your internet connection speed and winmx dosn't know you changed it this may cause it aswell

6. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

I'm sure there are many programs I've installed but one that pops might be BitComet. I'd uninstall, but only being able to use one seems just as daunting. If it were the existance of BitComet, could they not coexist? Speed hasn't changed.

7. drewgeo

drewgeo Guest

I am having the same problem. Winmx was working fine until recently and now I can not download from anyone. The connections all time out. The only software updates I have done are the Win XP updates. I am on a router/firewall with a cable connection but everything was set correctly. I even had download speeds for movies around 100k. I removed and reinstalled Winmx, nothing and now just tried the 3.54 beta version. Same problem exists, searchs and finds 75-100 possible downloads but they all time out, yellow to red as you put it.

8. dude845

dude845 Regular member

the stupid router will mess it up i had the same problem then i stoped using winmx and got.........

9. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

I just wish I could fix it. I don't have a router though.

drewgeo, did it just happen out of the blue like with me?

10. dude845

dude845 Regular member

try using a new p2p program

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah dude i had the same problem ,got a firewall router and winmx wouldnt work ,theres really no way around it so i just quit using it too