1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winrar doing weird things

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by shynomi, May 29, 2004.

1. shynomi

shynomi Member

I have Winrar 3.0 and for the last couple of years everything has been fine. I have been getting files for work that have to be split up into smaller files. (ie test.r00 test.r01 test.r02) and winrar combines them to unarchive the file but since i got this new cpu built ,which is a great cpu as far as speed and all, winrar has not been able to unarchive any files now. I know that the files have been uploaded correctly because my other co workers seem to be getting theirs fine. Anyway the error keeps coming up saying (unexpected end of archive) on all of them. It's happened on all of the posts in the last 2 weeks (since i got my new cpu) i don't know if there's something i need to fix, maybe a setting but why wont it work?

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

An ""unexpected end of archive "" error in Winrar is an indication that you are missing one or more files to complete the re-assembly. --

When you use Winrar archives , the very first file that is created has a TOC built in and will govern the re-assembly of all others archives files in that session. That file has the suffix RAR .. the others will bear a letter and a number. i.e r00, r01.. etc...

It is good practice to activate the rar suffixed file FIRST when you re-assemble.

Now if the TOC expects to see 15 segments -- and you are missing one -- you will get the error --""unexpected end of archive"".

3. shynomi

shynomi Member

thanks for the reply but that isn't the case here, i am very familiar with unarchiving files starting with the .00 file and so on it's just now even though i've had other co workers getting the same file mine will not extract without errors this has never happened to me as far as getting these files (all of them are getting these errors (all 12) they are about 200 mb in size and it is so nerve-racking for them not to be right. It has to be a setting or something in winrar i've tried reinstalling it and that didn't help. I was hoping that their maybe some kinda fix for this. thanks so far tho.
    nathan

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Do you have a file with the "".rar "" suffix ?

You said you were very familiar about archives --- and you say "starting with the .00 file" -- looks like you missing the "rar" one.

-- Here's a copy & paste from the winrar HELP FILE -- ""...where the first volume file in a multi-volume set has the extension .rar, following volumes are numbered from .r00 to .r99.--- To unpack volumes you need to start extraction from the first volume. ""

Good luck -- but this has nothing to do with your CPU ! Have you tried to make an archive on your desktop and see if you can re-assemble it ? if you can do that -- look no further you are definately missing a segment on the ones you are stuck on !

5. shynomi

shynomi Member

thanks i'll try that and get back with you...
    btw, some have the file with the .rar suffix but others don't i've had it work either way starting with that or with the .00 file thanks again.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2004