1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinRar error when extracting rars, any ideas?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by pimpdadd, Jun 7, 2003.

1. pimpdadd

pimpdadd Member

Ive downloaded 4.5 gigs of rar files (180 files in all), when joined they create a file called Vs_xxxx.pdi.iso.

When i try to extract that onto one of my hard drives i get this error..

NOT ENOUGH SPACE ON DISC.

WRITE ERROR. ONLY NTFS FILE SYSTEM SUPPORT FILES LARGER THEN 4GB.

Ive checked both my hard drives and i have 9gb on my c drive & 6.7g on my d drive.

Any ideas what this might be or how/if it can be fixed, it would be gutting to have to delete the file after the time its taken to download. cheers for any help.

2. panterra

panterra Member

This may be too late but.... are you using Windows 98 or ME? It looks like whatever you OS is, the file system is FAT32 and not NTFS. FAT32 has a limitation of 4GB files. It doesn't matter how much HD space you have left, it can only go up to 4GB for one file.... To switch to NTFS you have to reformat you HD... pretty drastic.

pan

3. drchips

drchips Active member

Now now panterra, that is not entirely correct in the way you stated it (I am not picking on ya, just that sometimes there are less-technically inclined/experienced people reading these posts & it's not a good idea for them to be misled, however inadvertantly), it is not true for Win2000 & XP which have the facility to change the format to NTFS WITHOUT losing the data; also, programs like Partition Magic can make the change for you without losing data.

But, the gist of it IS correct, and is a good precis of that limitation of FAT32.

Hope I have not caused any insult, as that was not my intention.

pimpdadd, it may not be too late for you, we need more info (OpSys, how the hard drives are formatted & total sizes etc.), there are ways to help.

Have Fun...