1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WINRAR extracting guide

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by hursty, Jul 5, 2005.

1. whatif

whatif Guest

Quick question...hope this is in the right thread...

...first and foremost thanks for the guide...really helped me to get around this...

My question is.....what about rar files that ask for a password when you try to "extract here"....is there any way to get around that?....they ask to make a donation with paypal or to sign up with some lewd website

...if I can't byPASS THE PW is there any way to know that a file being downloaded is pw protected?...so I don't waste my time?...

2. hursty

hursty Active member

normally you can find the password,thats if the torrent site has a comments section
    i believe there are programs you can get that can by-pass the protected rar files,try google
    do not be conned by going to these sites that ask for paypal donations for the passwords

3. mshcrew

mshcrew Member

I have been trying to open a WinRAR file and it keeps saying setup file expired. Need help!

4. YoungHawk

YoungHawk Member

Help please...

I followed this guide exactly. And yet I still can't get the file(s) on my disc to play it. I click on "Extract Here" on one of the RAR files and it goes through 5 minutes of extracting. But it doesn't do anything. The icon that is supposed to signify that its been extracted (the picture of the disc with the checkmark in the corner[according to this guide]) is not there. It keeps the same icon as before (the pile of books with the belt locked around them

5. port_92

port_92 Guest

i too have a problem. i downloaded this video as .rar and its password protected, i have the password but when i type it in a message pops up saying "CRC failed is encrypted file" what does that mean? and how can i fix it so i can extract the file?

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Make sure you have the latest version of Winrar - found here...
    http://www.win-rar.com/download.html

Also it could just mean a corrupt video file - if you're password [bold] is [/bold] right.

7. ThaChamp2

ThaChamp2 Member

ok i have the newest winrar update and then when i extract the files it says " Setup detected a corruption setup will now terminate" and it has done that for like 5 things please help

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Then I'd ay you have a corrupt set of rar files...

9. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

One thing I would like to see added to any WinRAR/WinZIP and related guides, is that you must MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST VERSION OF THE SOFTWARE! Compression programs like WinRAR and WinZIP have a considerable history of security problems, particularly serious ones i.e. stack overflows and heap corruptions which allow remote code execution. Since so many of these RARs and ZIPs come from P2P and Bittorrent - in other words, malicious sources - you can be certain that, sooner or later, you will run into maliciously-constructed RAR and ZIP files. You only need to attempt extraction in some cases and bam! you're infected. I suspect that many of these archives aren't merely corrupt, but contain malicious payloads.

http://secunia.com/search/?search=winrar
    http://secunia.com/search/?search=winzip&w=0
    http://secunia.com/search/?search=winace&w=0

10. hursty

hursty Active member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  11. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Ok, thanks for adding that, and for creating the guide. :)

12. GoneHome

GoneHome Guest

May I ask a question too? I followed your guide, but why is my extracted file still in bits (multiple files might be what it is called)? It seemed you were saying it would now be something like an avi file, but mine is a .zip. I want to play it, then burn it to DVD, but the computer won't do anything with it as it is. I read it might need extracting again, but this didn't help, it is still in bits.

And for the newbie question of the century - so can it be DivX and also a rar? I thought it could be one or the other. I have been only playing with DivX formats,because I can handle those. This was saying it was a DivX, but when it came through it had all those files, with .r01 etc on them.

13. ptwenty

ptwenty Guest

Hi - has anybody else noticed that the newest version of WinRAR doesn't give the chance to split files into 50Mb chunks anymore?

I only get options 1.44Mb, 98Mb Zip100, 650Mb CD and a 700Mb one I think

cheers

ptwenty

EDIT: Ok I feel like a donkey. I could've edited this and saved my blushes, but it might help someone else who has the same problem.

Solution - manually type 50000000 in the box for the number of bytes to split the file to be entered. ie 50 million bytes = 50 Mb

every day is a school day

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2007
  14. mealman

mealman Member

Hi guys.
    I have a password protected film in winrar format. I have got around the password issue except when i get to part24 out of 47 parts. It says it is password protected but i have followed the instructions to get the password for the film but stops at part24. Any ideas how to solve this?

Mealman

15. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Just to be sure, are you sure you have all parts, that some parts haven't been renamed, and you've run all the PAR files through a Quickpar parity check?

16. reansg

reansg Member

ok, a quick question.
    I have like 100 rar archives having the same pass. I don't wanna enter them one by one. What should I do??

17. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Not a lot you can do..

make a text file with the pass.. highlight and copy.. click your file as usual and then it's one right click>paste to put the pass in the box. ;-)

18. reansg

reansg Member

that's what I allways do but isn't there a way to do it more efficiently, like writing a batch file or so?

19. aZnTimy

aZnTimy Member

umm...i download narutimate accel from torrent and only got 1 rar file dat says naruto.iso...uhh wat do i do nex?

20. retarded1

retarded1 Member

got a problem, i downloaded a game its like 80rar's. somebody renamed them all and now their out of order, anyway to get them back in order so i can extract them. all the .001-.079's were removed