1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winrar is giving me an error " There is not enough space on the disk."

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by koyettsu, Jan 3, 2005.

1. koyettsu

koyettsu Member

I realize that somehow when I installed Windows XP it did not convert the file system to NTFS. So what I need to know is if I convert it now will I lose all the files on my computer?

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Formating your hard drive will erase all the files on it, so first you must make a backup copy of all you files and a bootable disk. There is probably a better forum here to ask this question.

3. koyettsu

koyettsu Member

Yeah I understand that, but correct me if I am wrong you can convert your hard drive from Fat 32 to NTFS. I am wondering if the conversion will keep the files I have intact if I do not format it first?

4. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

You already got a perfectly straight answer from Balaam. There is no way to "convert" from FAT32 to NTFS without reformatting. The only thing to do is reformat, meaning all files will be erased. Formatting is when you give an HD a file system, I don't see how it can be made anymore clear. And how does this forum or the thread title seem appropriate?

5. Boomsly

Boomsly Member

How come I converted my pc to NTFS from FAT32 without formatting Everything on my pc? My pc runs as it did before after the conversion so from what I can tell converting it without formating first won't hurt anything atleast from what I can tell I converted my pc to ntfs back in july. I can't remember how I did it but if you use the search function you'll find a post with instructions on how to do it, I'll see if I can find it again.

EDIT: click here and look about 4-5 posts instructions on how to convert without formating, it worked for me.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/121945

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  6. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

damned Windows and it's simple approaches to everything...

It looks like converting it caused some diskspace loss, and anything where you have to defragment and diskcheck before doing it should be avoided (like partition resizing, for example). It can be dangerous to your data if anything goes wrong.

7. Boomsly

Boomsly Member

It may have backed up some of your files, you may want to run a search and see if you can find duplicates of anything on your hard drive.

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

NTFS had more internal overhead than FAT32 for things like security descripters and such and therefore, you will have a little less usable disc space after conversion. And for the rest of you the command to convert from FAT32 to NTFS is "convert c: /fs:ntfs" without the quotes. Replace c: with the drive letter you wish to convert. This process will safely convert your existing FAT32 partition to NTFS with no data loss, however, this is a one-way conversion that cannot be reversed as equally easily.

9. koyettsu

koyettsu Member

..ok so basically I got reamed because I asked a question since I am trying to backup one of my games but could not put the file to my computer. Now I get told that I can do exactly what I wanted to begin with and the guy reaming me was wrong? *confused*

10. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

yeah, basically. Sorry about that one...

11. Boomsly

Boomsly Member

I'm sure there are alot of people that had no idea this was possible incuding me until I read that post, Sorry to get anyone upset.