1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinXP defaults to stereo speakers on restart not 5.1...

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by ShadowNyt, May 4, 2004.

1. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

This has been bugging me for a while now...

I have the follwoing set up:
    Creative Soundblaster Live D.E. 5.1
    Creative cambridge DTT2200 5.1 speakers
    Windows XP.
    Latest Drivers for the SB card.

On win 98 I never had a problem, but with XP I have noticed that my center and rear speakers keep dropping out when I re-start my machine...

Going to speaker properties I note that WinXP defaults back to stereo desktop speakers instead of 5.1...

Changing to 5.1 and hitting apply does not fix the problem though - I also need to re-run the creative supplied diagnostic program that allows you to hear a sound from each speaker one at a time...

only after this has been run do I get 5.1 sound enabled... - this never used to happen...

Anyone have anyidea on what I can set / tick / install / change to have WinXP recognise the card as 5.1 from a re-start condition??

I have ignored the problem for 12 months now as I only re-start my PC every few weeks... but still it is annoying...

2. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

Have you checked to see if there is an update for XP for this problem?

3. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

Yes - downloaded all the latest drivers for my sound card... (the latest are actually quite old now for the SBL5.1).

I run windows update every now and again so should have all the patches... - although I have steared clear of SP1... I have my reasons...

I suppose the microsoft knowledge base could be searched for a possible solution - just seems to be to specific for Microsoft to have bothered with... like using their help files - if your problem is not due to being an ignorant computer newbie the help file goes around in circles and then says - I give up...