1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiping PS2 CD

Discussion in 'PS2 - CD backup discussion' started by lucied5, Jun 23, 2007.

1. lucied5

lucied5 Member

I'm doing a little experiment here with one of my PS2 CD format discs (at least i assume it is CD because when i pop it into my comp it says CDROM as opposed to DVDROM like other PS2 games). The experiment i'm doing has nothing to do with my question here, and i don't really want to say what it is until it works, so i can avoid people giving me crap about it.

Ok. I put the PS2 disc into my computer. I opened it up and looked at the files in it. There are the following files: FILES.DAT FILES.HDR SLUS_208.76 (on the disc it so happens that there is a stamp that says SLUS 20976) and another file that says SYSTEM and my comp says it's a speed dial file (???), Then There is a folder named IRX full of files with .IRX extension on them and one .ISO file.

Ok, now to the final point. I want to delete ALL of the files on this disc, but when i try it says the files are read only, so i try to make them not read only and it says access denied. How can I either:
    A) Delete the files; or
    B) Make them NOT read only?

2. philraz

philraz Regular member

you cant because the cd that the ps2 game is written to is non writable it is possible to bring these these files onto your HDD change the file permissions and the edit them but you still have no way of copying them back to the orignal disc

3. Xomby

Xomby Regular member

indeed, original ps2 discs, be they dvd or cd are PRESSED at the factory, not burned. giving them much the same qualities as a CD-r after you've written and closed any multisessions.

you can rip files off them all you want. but you cannot re-write it, erase it, reformat it, well technically you could erase it by putting it in the microwave for a few seconds... but that would destroy the disc, and possibly your microwave, causing personal injury or even death (its possible, just fair warning, and i dont recommend you try that at home kids).

4. lucied5

lucied5 Member

damn... lol and the disc in the microwave thing is so cool, and it's not that dangerous, go check it out on youtube lol

5. Xomby

Xomby Regular member

ever seen it done with a laser disc?

6. lucied5

lucied5 Member

laser disc?

7. Xomby

Xomby Regular member

the cd is the one on top... of the laser disc.

[​IMG]